Wondering if I Am a Candidate for a Mini or Full Tuck, and Also if a Breast Reduction And/or Lift Would Help the Sag? (photo)

I am a 27 year old mother of two children. I gained weight with my first pregnancy when I was 19 and then again after I had my last child a year ago. I've since lost the weight and have quite an over hang of fat on my tummy. I wonder if a mini tuck would be appropriate based on the photos. I'm certainly open to a full tuck but I didn't know if I needed the muscle repair or not. I'm not expecting this to get rid of stretch marks, I just want to be able to feel comfortable with my body again. Thanks

Full tummy tuck

+2

You are a good candidate for a full abdominoplasty, if a surgeon even mention the term miniabdominoplasty, run away from that office.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is difficult to tell without personally evaluating you, but people who have especially slack skin in their midsection and abdominal muscle weakness need more than what diet and exercise alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.

A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

+2
The indications for a mini tummy tuck are rather limited. Ideally you should only have a small lower abdominal pooch and the skin and tissue above the umbilicus needs to be tight. Unfortunately that is rarely the case after pregnancy . From your photos you would benefit from a full abdominoplasty, suctioning of the hips to help with the waist line and a mild plication. You are in fact an ideal candidate for this procedure.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Full vs mini tummy tuck

+2

Based upon your photos and history it looks like you would benefit most from a full tummy tuck.  Best to be evaluated in person.

Wondering if I Am a Candidate for a Mini or Full Tuck, and Also if a Breast Reduction And/or Lift Would Help the Sag?

+2

A full tummy tuck will give a better result for your level of skin laxity and anatomy.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Full or mini tummy tuck

+2

Thanks for the question and the photos.

From the photos I would suggest you have an excess of skin below the tummy button, with a split or laxity in the muscles, and disproportionate distribution of fat.

The best procedure to address these issues would be a full tummy tuck in combination with liposuction of the abdomen and flanks.

This would I think give you the best result in terms of a flat tummy and narrowed waist,

All the best of luck with the decision

Jeremy Hunt 

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

'Tummy Tuck' substantially improves torso appearance

+2

I think you're a good candidate for a 'standard' tummy tuck - which, in my parlance, includes plication of the muscle, some liposuction of the flanks and removal of skin excess with a low pelvic scar.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+2

You will get the best results with a full abdominoplasty and muscle plication. You have a very thin upper abdomen and will get a great result. Good luck

Donald Griffin, MD

Mini tummy tuck will not work for you.

+2

In the photograph the entire abdomen is involved with loose skin, subcutaneous fat, and laxity of the abdominal wall. If you want these corrected only a full abdominoplasty will do the job.

A Good Candidate For Tummy Tuck

+2

The short answer is yes, you would be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  Lets look at why.  Most of your problem area relates to an excess of lower abdominal skin.  The contour of your upper abdomen and back looks great.  So the main goal would be to remove all of the excess skin and to tighten up your lower abdomen.

It would be nice if the mini tummy tuck would accomplish this (because who doesn't want a smaller scar) but unfortunately the mini would not accomplish any of your goals.  The mini only really works on women who have a small lower abdominal pooch with a little extra skin.

I think you would be very happy with a standard tummy tuck.  And regarding the question about breast reduction - I would need to see photos to give you a worthwhile answer.  Good luck to you!

Al Rosenthal, MD