How Can Women Treat Thinning Hair?

What are the possible drawbacks of a woman having hair transplant surgery for thinning hair?

Thinning Hair in Women Treated with ACell + PRP

+1

If hair transplant surgery for thinning hair is done incorrectly it can cause shedding of surrounding hair.  In most cases, female hair loss can be effectively treated. With a newer technique developed by Dr. Gary Hitzig using ACell Matristem can prevent further hair loss as well as the duplication (or cloning) of transplanted hairs. ACell can also be administered non-surgically (by injection) without hair transplant with proven results as it also rescues the hair and causes regrowth in thinning areas that need hair restoration. Dr Hitzig offers ACell + Platelet Rich Plasma injections in New York offices. Women tend to have less obvious patterns of hair loss than men, and non-pattern types of hair loss are more frequent in women than in men. Diagnosis of hair loss in a woman should be made by a trained and experienced physician.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Women's Hair Transplant

+1

A hair transplant is a great permanent hair restoration option for anyone in good general health; that includes women. You can minimize risks, and any possible drawbacks, by doing extensive research on surgeons to ensure you select the best surgeon for your chosen technique.
A good surgeon will also know how to tailor the procedure to the need for subsequent obscurity, which is of greater concern for female patients.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplants for Women

+1

Not much. If you have had a medical work-up and your health and hormones are OK you should get a great result and little chance of any complications.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants for Women

+1

A large number of hair transplant surgeons will not perform a procedure on most women, due to the challenges- including risk of damage to existing hairs, difficulty in achieving impressive results, and more. However, in my personal practice, around one-quarter of my patients (around 4 to 5 a week) are women, most commonly having a procedure to restore density, with others looking to have a hairline brought down, or eyebrows restored.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Female hair restoration

+1

I agree with Dr. Fleming

All female hair loss patients should have a full medical and endocrinology workup.  If after their workup, all is normal, then hair restoration surgeon +/- topical treatments such as laser and minoxidil may be in order.  Female patients are great candidates for hair transplantation.  The only thing is that the surgeon must carefully adjust angulation of the shafts and craft a natural hairline.  

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplantation for women

+1

Women can certainly benefit from hair transplantation just as men can, but the type of hair loss experienced by women is more evenly distributed over the top of the head, not so isolated as it oftentimes is for men.  This may give the appearance of less density to the final results.  This can still give excellent results for a given condition, however.  Always consult with a local Plastic Surgeon to give you some guidance about this.  I have had many women in my practice have hair transplantations and they wre all pleased with the procedure.  Occasionally a secondary transplant may be encouraged, but this will always be judged on an individual basis.

Best of luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Women and Hair Transplants

+1

Women can be excellent candidates for hair transplants.  There are a couple of items to consider.

• Women will generally thin both on top and diffusely.  While worse and more obvious on top, this includes the back.  While the hair in the back can be transplanted, the thickness and density it provides may be less than that transplanted in a man.
  • The frontal hairline is usually preserved without the typical male-pattern recession.  This is good as the frontal hairline doesn't need to be specifically lowered or replaced.  However, thickening of the thin midscalp needs a lot of grafts.  This is compounded by the problem above. 
  • Causes other than the typical androgenic alopecia or genetic alopecia need to be considered.  This can take an otherwise good candidate and turn them into a bad candidate. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Women Treat Thinning Hair

+1

First of all a woman should have a medical evaluation to rule out problems such as hormonal or thyroid imbalance as a cause of thinning hair. Hair transplants are an excellent  way to treat pattern loss that we frequently see in females.

Hair transplant in women.

+1

Hair transplants in women have no real problems if they have enough thick hair in the back of the head to use as a donor area. I have not had any problems with this in 35 years of doing hair transplants.