I'm a Woman and I Want to Be Feminine, Please Help!

Please, if anyone out there can help me or give me advice on how to get rid of my muscular arm. I never go to the beach and I'm embarassed to where sleeveless shirts or dresses. I just want to be feminine, please help!!! I'm 29yrs old, 110lbs and 5.1" tall. I'm always told I'm beautiful but I don't believe it because I know what I look like when naked. This has ruined all my relationships and I've been single for over 3yrs now!!!

Arm surgery?

+2

With all due respect, I agree with my colleagues that you may best be served by a experienced counselor, not a surgeon. Based on your description, you may be suffering from body dysmorphic syndrome in regards to the appearance of your arms. I am hopeful that you will heed this advice and avoid falling into the hands of a inexperienced/unethical surgeon. Unindicated  surgery  may result in scars–irregularities that cannot be fixed. Best wishes.

I want to look more Feminine!

+2

I completely agree with Dr. Shureih.  You sound like you have body image and self esteem issues.  This is the worst reason to have surgery performed, because it doesn't heal you emotionally and often makes patient's feel worse because now they have scars that you didn't even need in the first place.  Please don't seek out surgery until you fix your mindset first, because you will surely find someone that will operate on you even if it not best for you.  Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

BODY IMAGE

+2

YOU SOUND TO HAVE LOW SELF ESTEEM AND PROBLEMS WITH BODY IMAGE.

Post some pictures.

ALSO SEEK THE HELP OF PSYCHIATRIST FOR BODY IMAGE PROBLEMS

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

+1

I am sorry you are going through this.  Low self esteem feeds on itself and creates more low self esteem.  For whatever reason you have focused on your arms as the cause of your problem, this is not a plastic surgical question or problem, but thank you for the question.  Plastic surgeons need to know when not to operate.  I am sure you are hurting very badly, and you need someone to talk to.  Real Self is a great forum for all kinds of questions and answers.  Several of the most experienced Board Certified plastic surgeons in the country have given you the right answer.  Don't hurt yourself by doing unnecessary surgery.  Your problem runs deeper than skin and even muscle.  Please seek therapy.  You are to be congratulated for reaching out, but unfortunately this is the wrong venue.  Find a counselor or a therapist you can trust.  Things will get better.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon