Is There a Less Invasive Maneuver Than Extension Grafts to Lenghten a Slightly Shortened Nose?

My nose is slightly over shortened and it needs not more than 2 -3 mm in lengthening if not less. Is there a less risky maneuver one can use for a slightly over shortened nose to lengthen it other than rib / septal / ear extension graft? My nose isn't very upturned just slightly too short . I already have tip grafts. Will the use of more grafts widen the nose or help narrow it? Thanks

Extension Grafts to Lengthen Nose

+1

It is necessary to place a  tip or extension cartilage graft to lengthen the nose. Based on your description, I doubt that a rib graft will be necessary. I need pictures to make more precise recommendations 

Short nose, extension graft, tip graft

+1

In order to lengthen the short nose a stable foundation is imperative.  Dorsal extension grafts and caudal septal extension graft are the most stable approach to lengthening the nose.  When only a subtle amount of lengthening is necessary a tip graft may accomplish what is needed.  The problem with using a tip graft by itself is that if the skin is tight there is not enough support to stabilize the graft in position and the tip of the nose may twist or shift.  To have a successful outcome from a rhinoplasty there must be a stable foundation, the nasal cartilaginous skeleton.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lengthening the Nose

+1

Without knowing the situation of your current nose, it would be difficult to recommend a particular technique to revise your nose.  In general, lengthening your nose requires cartilage to extend it as well as support the lengthened nose.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can properly evaluate and guide you to help achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Revision rhinoplasty for shortened nose

+1

Without any pictures it very difficult to give an opinion.  As a general rule, additional cartilage grafts added to the nose usually makes the nose wider, not narrower. It is best to obtain your operative reports to find out what  type of grafting has been done in the past, seek out a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and have realistic expectations.

Lengthening a Short Nose

+1

Monique, it is a rare case where you can lengthen the nose without doing grafting of the nasal tip. It would even be more rare in cases like yours where the tip has already been reshaped and grafted. In cases like this, there has to be a solid, stable repositioning of the tip in its new position in order to resist forces of scarring that might cause it to shorten again. Make sure you consult with an expert in revision rhinoplasty who has dedicated experience in lengthening short noses. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon