What Could Be the Cause of a Nose Becoming Wider After Rhinoplasty?

Hello, I am a woman who had rhinoplasty many months ago so healing period is over. I have no swelling at the moment whatsoever. My nose is much wider than before. i has had grafts, but not to widen the nose, since that wasn't needed. The shape of my tip has been changed with sutures, so there was refinement of the tip and not the opposite performed. i also has onlay graft, a spreader flap and tip grafts. What could be the cause of her nose looking so much wider? Thanks

Wider Nose Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Spreader grafts by their nature will widen a nose to some extent.  If the tip is larger there may be residual swelling.  Some people can take longer than a year to resolve.  If you are considering a revision, find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Wide Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Without seeing photographs or being able to examine you in person, it's difficult to say what could be causing your nose to appear wider. You mention that you underwent your rhinoplasty several months ago--with a rhinoplasty, swelling and the recovery process as a whole can last up to 2 years until final results can be seen. If you're procedure was performed during this time frame, it's important to continue to be patient. If you're experiencing any problems having to do with breathing or functionality, I suggest visiting an expert facial plastic surgeon for a second opinion.

Web reference: http://www.facialplastics.info/rhinoplasty.html

What could be the cause of a nose becoming wider after rhinoplasty?

+1

Depending on how many months it has been since your surgery, you may still have some residual swelling. In general, it can take 18-24 months for the final result of surgery to be evident. 70% of the swelling will resolve after the first three months, and the remainder goes down over time. Degree of swelling can be influenced by the thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether the surgery was open or closed, and whether or not tip work was performed. Posting before and after photos and providing an exact timeframe as to where you are in the post-operative period would be a great next step. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/face/rhinoplasty/

Wider nose after rhinoplasty

+1

WIthout seeing before and after photos, it is difficult to comment about your question. It may also be swelling.

Healing after rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question. It is tough to answer this without looking at before and after pictures of your nose. It usually takes 9-12 months for the swelling to resolve from the nose after rhinoplasty surgery. All the techniques you have mentioned are all common practice and meet the standard of care when it comes to performing rhinoplasty. They can widen the nose initially but once the tissue loses the swelling and begins to "shrink wrap" around the structure of the nose like the underlying cartilage of the tip the perceived widening should not be as evident. I would consult with your original rhinoplasty specialist or a board-certified surgeon. Best of luck,

Sachin Parikh MD 

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon