Can a Collumellar Strut Graft or Tip Grafts Widen the Alar Base?

I had surgery almost two months ago, and i had tip grafts and a collumella strut graft. I know i still have a lot of swelling, but i am noticing big improvement after steroid injections. Unfortunately my alar base is much wider after my surgery, and this is not improving. Is it possible for the collumellar strut graft to be widening my nostrils? Thanks

Columellar Strut Widening Nostrils?

+1

A columellar strut in the conventional sense should not widen the nostrils.  If you provide pre and postop pictures, I may be able to provide you a more precise answer.

Rhinoplasty final result usually visible at four months

+1

Hi.

I predict you will eventually be very happy.  It is very rare for the alar base to actually widen after rhinoplasty.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Alar Base Widening After Rhinoplasty - Is It Possible?

+1

A columellar strut graft will not widen the alar bases nor would almost any other rhinoplasty manuever that you may have had. This is most likely seems that way due to residual swelling through out the nose. See how you feel about your alar bases in another six months. If the tip is significantly more narrow than before surgery, which you may not have yet, it can make the alar bases appear wider even though their measurements have not changed.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Columell strut and alar base

+1

Your nose may look wider because of swelling. A columella strut could make the columella look wider not the entire nasal base.

Wide Alar Base after surgery

+1

The alar width usually gets better after a rhinoplasty instead of getting worst. The only reason it might appear wider is when it is pre-existing condition but was not noticed preoperatively. The good news is that it can be fixed in a minor procedure called 'Alarplasty'

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wider nose after rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Dear Moniqueccc,

• A columellar strut can be used to increase projection of the nose and usually narrows the nostrils while it does it
  • If your nostrils are still wide, it is an easy fix that can be done in the office
  • Let the swelling come down by 6 months, then re-evaluate

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD