Would it be wise to get a drain put back in 6 weeks after tummy tuck?

Hello now 6 weeks PO I had a tummy tuck & lipo to the back and im still having a problem w fluid on my stomach & back i can actually feel it moving as I turn from side to side, it gives me a sensation of pins & needles stiffness & burning Is this normal?? A doctor told me I have ceroma. Wld it B wise to get a drain put back in after all this time

Seroma at six weeks

+1
  • If you have a seroma at six weeks after your tummy tuck, a drain should be put in or
  • You can have the fluid drawn off 3 x a week until it stops accumulating.
  • A drain is probably easier. 
  • If the fluid is in areas of liposuction, it can be harder to drain, because there are lots of little channels. 
  • If there is doubt about where the seroma is located, an ultrasound will help. Best wishes.

+1
That is not uncommon. If the seroma fails to resolve after multiple aspirations, a drain will help. This can be placed under local anesthesia and usually takes care of the problem.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

Seroma 6 weeks after a tummy tuck needs to be drained.

+1
A seroma, or fluid collection, 6 weeks after your tummy tuck needs to be drained. This may be done with a needle, with a new drain, and possibly with surgery. Leaving this seroma can lead to infection or a chronic problem and poor cosmetic outcome. You should contact your surgeon and be seen immediately to have to taken care of. Hopefully during your routine post-op visits, your surgeon has recognized this problem and has sone something to help it. See your surgeon and have it dealt with or you may wind up dealing with long-term issues and revision surgery.

Matthew Schulman, MD