Why Do Still Have Black Eye 9 Weeks After Lower Eyelid Surgery?

I am 9 wks post op from lower lid bleph and have the shadow of a black eye that will not go away. help!  I had a lower lid bleph with reticular suspension 9 weeks ago. I was extremely swollen and bruised (age 53, fair skin). My only concern is this residual shadow of a black eye that won't go away. It is either tissue staining or the PA said possibly blood vessels? Either way will they go away in time?

Prolonged discoloration of the eyelids after blepharoplasty

+1

True bruises should be gone within 2 weeks in most patients, and nearly all patients will have complete resolution in 4 weeks. Nine weeks out may indicate hemosiderin staining. Hemosiderin is a breakdown product of blood and gets taken up by tissue macrophages. This tends to have a browner color than bruises, though. If that's the case, your best bet might be concealer makeup, since it can take months to years for this to fade. You really should be seeing the surgeon, though, NOT the P.A.

Good luck,

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid discoloration

+1

As you are already aware it is uncommon to have residual discoloration of the lower eyelids skin 9 weeks post surgery.  Without pre & post operative photos it is difficult to say what is going on.  I would recommend a visit with your surgeon.  There are treatments available to help lighten discoloration of the eyelid skin.  This may be an option for you.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

"Black eyes" after eye surgery

+1

It is extremely unusual to be bruised 9 weeks after sugery. It sounds more like you are seeing the muscle layer underneath the skin. Hard to say without examining you.

Hard to know what is going on without a photograph.

+1

However, I am concerned that you are seeing a PA rather than the surgeon who did your surgery.  I encourage you to ask to see your actual surgeon who performed your surgery and have them assess you and listen to your concerns and see what the surgeon thinks is going on.  

You paid good money for the care of this surgeon and your are entitled to his or her care after the surgery as well. Do not accept the well meaning hand holding of the surgeon's physician assistant. This person is not a surgeon.