5 Wks. Post Op. Is This CC or Just a Tight Pocket and Muscle? Will It Ever Loosen Up? (photo)

Had overs for 25 years 250 cc's. Developed CC & had bi-lateral capsulectomy 2 years ago. Left them out 2 yrs. (triathlete/marathoner). I was flat.Just had revision & went under the muscle 350 cc's . Left is soft w movement, but right is tight and firm w little movement in pocket. Doc says no CC & that it's too soon to develop. Said it's a tight muscle. Had lots of scar tissue that she cleaned on the right side. Can't raise my arm all the way up. Going to PT. PT says it's a tight muscle as well.

5 weeks and tight from breast augmentation.

+1

Time, time, time. Having significant scar tissue from your previous operations and placing larger implants all require time for the tissues to relax. Capsular contractures can begin to take shape from 4-6 weeks, but usually the issue relates to the soft tissues stretching. Be patient and follow your postoperative instructions.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Be patient

+1

Your early result seems quite reasonable. It is too early to be sure about possible recurrent capsular contracture.  Proper massage, stretching, and implant displacement exercises should help as it is still early. Specialized external ultrasound treatment by an experienced physical therapist may also be of help.  

Stay in touch with your plastic surgeon over the next 1-2 months to follow up on any improvements.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

CAPSULE OR NOT

+1

iT COULD BE BUT WE DON'T KNOW HOW LONG POST OP YOU ARE.eVERYONE WILL DEVELOP A CAPSULE NO MATTER WHAT.iT IS YOUR BODIES RESPONSE TO A FOREIGN BODY.uSE OF TEXTURED IMPLANTS MAY LESSEN THE FORMATION OF HARD CAPS.ULES

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

5 Wks. Post Op. Is This CC or Just a Tight Pocket and Muscle? Will It Ever Loosen Up?

+1

Sounds possible but add external ultrasound therapy to the right. Otherwise could just be the muscle response. 

Capsular Contracture Five Weeks Post Op

+1

I agree with everyone that it is much too soon to tell. It's not unusual for one side to soften up faster than the other. I encourage my patients to massage their breasts and take Vitamin E. Ask your surgeon if they recommend any of those things for you.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

+1

It is still to early post op to assess It is important that you get the correct physical therapy and strapping

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture or a tight muscle

+1

Based on your description and photos, it sounds like you probably have a muscle issue. Work with your physical therapist to relax your right pectoralis muscle. Once you resolve your range of motion issues in your right arm, you should see a change in the shape of the right breast. If the shape issue does not change after PT, then follow up with your plastic surgeon to evaluate for other causes. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Doesn't appear to be a contracture

+1

Thanks for your pic and ? It looks ok on the picture. If your surgeon didn't feel like it was abnormal scar tissue then it is probably ok. given your athletic history it is probably muscle spasm and tightness. PT will be helpful. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

5 Wks. Post Op. Is This CC or Just a Tight Pocket and Muscle?

+1

This seems too early for CC. It also doesn't look like CC on the photos, though that is not terribly reliable. It is not unusual for the pectoral muscles to relax to accommodate the implants at different rates, the handed side usually taking longer. This should resolve, all the faster with PT.