How Many Wks in Advance Should I Stop Drinking, I Am Having a Mommy Makeover Aug 3rd?

Drinking and surgery

+1
If you have a glass of wine with dinner there is no need to set a stop date (just don't mix alcohol and pain medication after surgery). If you drink more heavily you should discuss this with your surgeon beforehand to make a plan that is safe for you.

Alcohol Consumption Prior to Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

Patients with histories of significant alcohol consumption need to be evaluated carefully. Patients in this group may have impaired liver function. This may result in decreased pain tolerance and in some cases bleeding. In this group, we recommend that patients stop drinking before surgery, but compliance is often a problem.

The majority of patients would be classified as social drinkers. In this group of patients, we generally don’t restrict alcohol consumption. If you have concerns about alcohol consumption, it’s important that they be discussed with your surgeon prior to surgery. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol

+1

If you are a social drinker ie. a glass of wine then it is OK to continue. If there is more consumption then this needs to be discussed prior to the surgery and discontinued at least 3 weeks prior to the surgery.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

+1

Depends on how much you drink now.  If you drink heavy, then you should disclose this to your physician and discuss a plan.  Usually a 7-10 day abstinence is good to have.  Also stop all herbs.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Drinking cessation before surgery

+1

the longer before the surgery you can slow down the better. It will allow your pain medications to work better as they will metabolize at a normal rather than a faster speed. I ask may patients to cut down to no more than 6 oz of wine or 2 oz of hard liquor per day for one month prior and none for 1 weeks before. I then ask them not to drink until completely off the pain pills after the surgery.

Julio Garcia, MD

Mommy Makeover Preparation

+1

If you are a "social" drinker, you can continue up to the time of surgery in moderation.  Alcohol consumption that can affect liver function should be discussed with your surgeon prior to your surgery.

Alcohol and surgery

+1

I tell our patients to avoid alcohol for 10-14 days prior to surgery, as part of an effort to minimize bleeding and bruising from surgery.

Thomas Fiala, MD

When to stop drinking before surgery

+1

If you are a social drinker, then stopping just a few days prior to surgery should be fine.  If you have a drinking problem, then this needs to be addressed prior to your surgery to ensure that you do not go through withdrawl during the perioperative period.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Drinking and surgery -- do they mix?

+1

I have to assume you are not a heavy drinker.  If you are,  there are numerous medical issues that would need to be addressed before you undergo an operation.  There is some evidence that red wine can cause more bleeding, and I have my patients stop red wine at least 24 hours prior to surgery. Also you need to be careful not to mix the pain medication prescribed for you with alcohol post-operatively.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol intake and surgery

+1

This should be a non-issue. If the amount you drink in terms of quantity or days of the week is sufficient to make it an issue it is imperative that you get a medical clearance before surgery. If you stop taking alcohol abruptly around surgery it can cause DTs, seizures, alterations in blood pressure that kill the edges of the abdominal skin closure etc. If it is an issue there is a signigicant chance that some nutritional factors are present that could prolonged your recovery and/or detract from your result. If they are present these should be corrected before surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD