How Many Wks in Advance Should I Stop Drinking, I Am Having a Mommy Makeover Aug 3rd?

How many weeks in advance should I stop drinking. I am having a Mommy Make Over August 3?

There is some evidence that alcohol consumption can lead to postoperative bleeding. This risk is probably quite small and related to the amount of alcohol consumed. In order to be on the safe side it would probably be best to abstain from alcohol for the week prior to your procedure.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Drinking prior to surgery

I would recommend speaking to your surgeon about this issue because they may have specific advice.  Usually I am not concerned if my patients have an alcoholic drink even the day prior to surgery.  However, if a person drinks very heavily this can affect their overall health including liver function.  It is advisable to tell your plastic surgeon about your alcohol intake prior to surgery.

Alcohol Consumption Prior to Mommy Makeover Surgery

Patients with histories of significant alcohol consumption need to be evaluated carefully. Patients in this group may have impaired liver function. This may result in decreased pain tolerance and in some cases bleeding. In this group, we recommend that patients stop drinking before surgery, but compliance is often a problem.

The majority of patients would be classified as social drinkers. In this group of patients, we generally don’t restrict alcohol consumption. If you have concerns about alcohol consumption, it’s important that they be discussed with your surgeon prior to surgery. 

If you are a social drinker ie. a glass of wine then it is OK to continue. If there is more consumption then this needs to be discussed prior to the surgery and discontinued at least 3 weeks prior to the surgery.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

Depends on how much you drink now.  If you drink heavy, then you should disclose this to your physician and discuss a plan.  Usually a 7-10 day abstinence is good to have.  Also stop all herbs.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Drinking cessation before surgery

the longer before the surgery you can slow down the better. It will allow your pain medications to work better as they will metabolize at a normal rather than a faster speed. I ask may patients to cut down to no more than 6 oz of wine or 2 oz of hard liquor per day for one month prior and none for 1 weeks before. I then ask them not to drink until completely off the pain pills after the surgery.

Julio Garcia, MD

Mommy Makeover Preparation

If you are a "social" drinker, you can continue up to the time of surgery in moderation.  Alcohol consumption that can affect liver function should be discussed with your surgeon prior to your surgery.

Alcohol and surgery

I tell our patients to avoid alcohol for 10-14 days prior to surgery, as part of an effort to minimize bleeding and bruising from surgery.

When to stop drinking before surgery

If you are a social drinker, then stopping just a few days prior to surgery should be fine.  If you have a drinking problem, then this needs to be addressed prior to your surgery to ensure that you do not go through withdrawl during the perioperative period.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Drinking and surgery -- do they mix?

I have to assume you are not a heavy drinker.  If you are,  there are numerous medical issues that would need to be addressed before you undergo an operation.  There is some evidence that red wine can cause more bleeding, and I have my patients stop red wine at least 24 hours prior to surgery. Also you need to be careful not to mix the pain medication prescribed for you with alcohol post-operatively.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon