Will I Be Okay Doing Invisalign Without Palatal Expansion? (photo)

I saw a few orthodontists, some who wanted me to have a palatal expander. My current orthodontist said there was no need and I have proceeded with Invisalign (have the first set in). I assumed he meant the arch could be expanded with the Invisalign itself but I know now this is not the case. I really hate the narrowness of my arches (they form a V shape) and know I will not be happy without this changed (I'd like the "idealised" U shape arch). Is my dentist right in having Invisalign only?

Expanding the upper arch with Invisalign

+1

It is true that can't do "palatal expansion" as an adult (ie make the bone of the palate wider, without surgery) you CAN expand the dental arches somewhat to achieve a broader dental arch and a fuller smile.  The most effective way to do this is with traditional braces, possibly with a palatal expander as an auxillary appliance.  Invialign can accomplish arch widening to a lesser degree.  i suggest that you may want to finish your Invisalign treatment and see if you're satisfied.  If not, your orthodontist may be able to broaden your smile enough by using braces for a few months.

Seattle Orthodontist

Invisalign CAN expand the arch

+1

While Invisalign CAN expand the arch, it cannot expand it as much as a palatal expander with standard orthodontics. You will probably still have the V-shaped arch, rather than the more ideal U-shaped arch. As long as you've already committed to the Invisalign treatment, I would suggest you complete it, and then see if you still need more expansion.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign expanding the palate

+1

As an adult you are not able to expand the palate once you stop growing.  Based on that there is no way to use a palatal expander.  With invisalign you are able to expand the arch.  My suggestion is to complete the invisalign and the evaluate the results.  Good luck.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist