Can I have a muscle repair without a full TT? (Photo)

I had a mini tuck in june, but was very unhappy with my results. As i had paid for a full TT my surgeon done a full TT in november. But for some reason he did not do the MR.. I look bigger now than before. I went for an ultra sound because i thought i had seroma witch i did not, i have found out throw US i have diastsis recti. Could i now have MR on its own or would i need to pay for full TT?

Muscle Repair Vs. Tummy Tuck

+1
That is a tough problem and it sounds like there was likely some lost communication between you and your surgeon at some point.  If you had your surgery in the US, I would encourage you to bring this up with your surgeon. It is likely that he or she would be the most amenable to providing a fix to your problem at the smallest cost to you. If your surgery was done outside of the US, there is not an easy answer. It is possible to do a muscle repair with just an endoscopic approach but there are not many surgeons skilled in this procedure.  Doing a full open procedure can solve the problem as well but the time in the OR, the cost to you and the recovery are not going to be that different from a full TT. I would encourage you to seek out the opinion of a few surgeons until you find one that you like and trust. If you have access to your original surgeon, I would start there.
Dr. Pyle

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1
  • Muscle repair of the diastasis recti is routinely done with a tummy tuck.
  • It is not clear what operation you had. Incisions for tummy tucks and mini-tummy tucks are usually hidden in the groin crease.
  • Ask your surgeon for a copy of your tummy tuck operative notes. Review what you paid for and what was done.
  • Before doing more, get a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. What has happened so far is not a standard approach. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck

+1
From your pics i cannot say whether or not you have diastasis recti,you do not need an MRI,a simple test would be to raise your legs without bending at knees you will notice the diastasis.....This test is usually done before the surgery and we also rule out hernias,In a full tummy tuck all these defcts are corrected.Iam surprised about the vertical scar.Have you done this procedure by a board certified plastic surgeon in the USA?

Thangavel Ayyappan, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis recti

+1
Diastasis recti is usually fixed at the time the TT is performed.
With a minitummytuck is quite difficult to reach all the way up. 
I also notice a small vertical scar on your lower abdomen, why?
Sorry to say, but  for correcting this you would need to go through a Tummytuck again, and while you are at it I would recommend you do some lipo on your waist to improve the final result even further. 

Hope this helps. 

Carlos Castaneda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Discuss with your surgeon

+1
It sounds like you need to have a frank discussion with your surgeon as to your expectations from the surgery. Also, review the paperwork that you signed before surgery to see what you agreed to. Although you can have the rectus muscles tightened without taking additional skin, you should re-consult with your doctor to discuss why he/she did not do this at the time of the initial surgery. 

Renee Burke, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon