Within the Past Year I Lost 100 Pounds. I Have Stopped Losing but I Am No Longer Gaining. So Now I Am Stuck @ 250 Pounds.

Within the past year I lost 100 pounds. I have stopped losing but I am no longer gaining. So now I am stuck @ 250 pounds. I want to get a full abdominoplasty. Is this possible or do I need to lose some more. I am 5'6.

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1

There is not a magic number you have to be before having surgery. However, you are not at your goal weight and want to lose more. Prior to undergoing surgery, make sure you see a specialist to see if there is any medical reason that you are not losing further weight. Once this is all sorted out, then you can consider full TT.

The bottom line, the more weight you can lose before surgery, the more excess can be removed at the time of your TT.

Congratulations on your progress so far. You are well on your way! Good luck.

Loose excess weight before having a tummy tuck

+1

I would recommend that you get down to 200 pounds before you have surgery. The more weight you lose, the more skin your surgeon can remove, the better your health will be and the better your result should be.  You have lost a lot of weight and are to be commended, however, you are still at least 100 pounds over your ideal body weight and your risks for complications with surgery go up the more you weigh. Be patient, keep losing the weight and have surgery under the best conditions possible.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Once your weight has stabilized and you are no longer loosing weight, you are a good candidate for surgery.  I do not agree with some who insist that you have to loose more weight because your BMI is still elevated.  If we were to wait for you to get into the ideal BMI we'd be here forever.  Thus, I would perform the surgery however you must have realistic expectations and discuss in detail with your plastic surgeon what you can expect and what are the potential complications that can arise because of your current elevated BMI.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Further Weight Loss before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your weight loss thus far.

At this point,  you may need to get specialists involved. For example, see your primary care physician and rule out any medical conditions ( for example hypothyroidism)  that may be preventing further weight loss. Consider seeing a dietitian/ weight loss specialist who can advise you regarding your intake. Consider the use of a personal trainer who can help you with your exercise regimen.

After you have exhausted all these measures  consult with a few well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons  who can give you much better advice in person than I can online.

On occasion, I have done tummy tuck operations for patients who are not at their “ideal weight”;  getting rid of the excess skin and adipose tissue of the lower abdominal wall has helped these patients improve their exercise regimen.