Is It Wise to Travel from the UK to Have Rhinoplasty in the US?

I currently live in the UK and I am interested in having rhinoplasty. I've been researching lots of doctors in the UK but I haven't found any that I have been really impressed with. However, whilst researching, I've found doctors in the US who's work I've been really impressed by. Is it okay to travel from the UK to have rhinoplasty in the US?

Travel from UK to US for rhinoplasty

+2

It is acceptable to fly to a surgeon in the United States to have the procedure performed as complicated as rhinoplasty is.  It is important to stay in the location of your surgery for 10 days after the procedure.  Follow up will be difficult and there is always a 10% chance that a revision or touchup procedure may need to be performed a year after the primary procedure.  Also look for a surgeon who is board certified in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and has devoted a significant part of their practice to rhinoplasty.  The surgeon should operate in a Medicare certified surgery center, and have board certified physician anesthesiologists in attendance for the anesthesia.

Rhinoplasty overseas

+2

While the surgeon may be very well qualified, I caution patients even coming to me that if they have issues when they go home who will address them?  It may be better for them to have the surgery closer to home.  If you are gung ho on having it in the US, then you should stay in town for a few weeks during the early post-op period or see if your surgeon has a friend that can see you for follow-up in your country.

Traveling for Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Laila,

Many patients travel to have their rhinoplasty procedure.  The advantage of having rhinoplasty done locally is follow up treatment.  Rhinoplasty involves sculpting the nose and is dependent on the artistic vision, experience, and skill of the treating physician.  In the London area I have been impressed with the work of Mr. Julian Rowe-Jones.  The most important aspect of your rhinoplasty is choosing your surgeon most carefully, which it appears you are doing.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

British Patient Having Rhinoplasty in the USA

+1

We have done surgery,frequently rhinoplasty, on international patients for many years, particularly Europe, especially the UK.  Many of our patients will contact us and E-mail pictures before traveling to the US so we can discuss their goals and provide a general idea of what would be done; the final recommendations are made after meeting the patient, examining them, and discussing alternatives. For a patient having rhinoplasty they are usually in Beverly Hills for 8-10 days.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and have always had international patients from outside the US come for Rhinoplasty , Face Lifts, Cheek Implants and other plastic and cosmetic surgery procedures.  Why travel for your plastic and cosmetic surgery?  Simple, the most important element in choosing your surgeon IMHO is that they understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.  Without that, it's difficult to create natural, attractive results IMHO.  

Rhinoplasty abroad

+1

We have many patients from outside our city and from overseas.  We like to have our rhinoplasty patients in town for at least 7 days.  We would be happy to make accommodations for you. We also have contacts for follow-up in many areas in the World and certainly in the UK.  Of note, a two-page article about my wife (who is British) and our foundation was in the Dec 2 Daily record on pages 22-23.

Good luck and hope to see you in Beverly Hills!

David Alessi, MD

Travelling internationally for rhinoplasty in the US

+1

It isn't uncommon for patient's to travel great distances for surgery, especially if they don't have any satisfactory local options.

You would want to ensure that you can stay in the area for about 14 days after surgery to make sure that the nose is healing well. There is longer term follow-up after that as well so you would want to make sure to keep in contact with your surgeon with updates on how you're healing.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Medical tourism

+1

When I was training in New York City we saw a lot of patients from Europe. I cannot see why you could not do the same although I am sure there are some surgeons in the UK who could deliver similar results. With the exchange rate being what it is I would think the procedure might be a little less for you in the US.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Travel to US from rhinoplasty

+1

It certainly is ok to do this if you have the means do so and remain in the US for enough healing to ocuur afterwards before returning (usually 2 weeks). Will you be comfortable though not having easy acess to your surgeon after you return for qustions or concerns. Keep in mind that many of patients questions afterward can only be truly answered by exam. not phone, e mail or photo.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

International Rhinoplasty Patients

+1

We happen to see a good number of international patients who travel here to San Diego for rhinoplasty surgery. This includes many patients in the past from the UK. The bottom line is you need to feel comfortable with your chosen surgeon, especially in the area of cosmetic nose reshaping. If you cannot locate a trusted surgeon in your particular area, then traveling to satisfy your criteria is not unreasonable. Keep in mind the costs involved with international travel can be significant. You are looking at staying in the United States for approximately 10-14 days after surgery to ensure that your initial healing is going well. And then you need to have a method of constant communication with your surgeon for upwards of a year or longer after you depart. Rhinoplasty surgery is very much a collaborative effort that requires continual monitoring and occasional intervention even after you have left the operating room. Wishing you the best of luck in your decision making process. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon