Would It Be Wise to Run a 5k One Month After Rhinoplasty?

My surgery is Nov. 14th and there is a race that I was thinking of signing up for on Dec. 15th. My surgeon told me not to exercise for 2 weeks after surgery, then I can start back slowly. I would register for the shortest distance (5k). Would this be okay one month after rhinoplasty?

+1

yes, you can, but it is probably you feel tired, because you did not trained and you take care your new nose.

Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

I think most likely you will be fine to run the race after one month. There is a small possibility that you may not feel up to it, but I think one month's recovery time should be plenty.  In the worst case scenario, you won't be up to it in time and may have to cancel your race.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Exercising after a rhinoplasty

+1

Typically running at four weeks after a rhinoplasty is not a problem. If you are considering some kind of a 'mud run' event where you risk trauma to your nose, or being submerged in water, this would not be advisable. 

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon

5K at four weeks

+1

I personally would not have a problem with one of my patients running a five K at four weeks after a rhinoplasty.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

You should be fine resuming full cardio and weight-training exercise one month out from your rhinoplasty. The only limitations at this point would usually be to exclude activities where you might injure nasal bones which are not completely healed for another few weeks.

-Dr. Asaria, FACE Cosmetic Surgery

Toronto

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise 4 weeks after rhinoplasty is ok, but......

+1

Most rhinoplasty surgeons would give you the green light to run 4 weeks after surgery. The only caveat to this is that you are likely I experience some temporary swelling as a result. I would advise against it if you are having any problems with delayed healing, but if everything seems fine by that point, I think you should be ok. 

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of exercise after a Rhinoplasty

+1

In most cases it should be OK to start running at 4 weeks after a rhinoplasty.  However, healing and swelling can vary in different patients.  Check with your surgeon before going on your run.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Maeby,

• 5K is not too long of a distance, it should be fine after 4 weeks
  • Just let your surgeon know to be safe

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD