Is it Wise to Rent a Hospital Bed After TT Surgery?

Should you rent a hospital bed?

+1

I have never recommended renting a hospital bed after a tummy tuck.  Although your surgeon will probably want you bent slightly at the waist after surgery, it is pretty easy to do this with a standard bed and some pillows.  Good luck!

Is it Wise to Rent a Hospital Bed After #tummytuck Surgery? ANS:

+1

It usually is not needed. Most of the time a good recliner is all you need but more important is having some reliable help around the house for 7 days to so

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

If money is no object, go right ahead. But the overwhelming majority of patients do fine without one. A recliner works well. A bed with enough pillows to lift the back by 30 degrees will work. Usually by 2 to 3 days, lying flat is bed can be done.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Hospital bed

+1

If you're at all worried and cost isn't an issue, u should rent a bed. It certainly isn't needed, but many patients feel more comfortable with medical supervision the night after their surgery. 

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C) 

Beach Chair Position after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not necessary to rent a hospital bed after your surgery. If you want to sleep in your own bed, I recommend placing three pillows behind your back and a pillow under your knees so that you maintain your body in a beach chair position. The length of time can be discussed with your surgeon. Save your money for all the new clothes you'll need after surgery!

Thanks for your question and best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

A recliner is all you need.

+1
Hello, Thank you for your question. I usually don't keep tummy tuck patients overnight. A recliner will be helpful and likely your main sleeping area for about the first 1-2 weeks. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Hospitalization After Tummy Tuck

+1

I usually keep my tummy tuck patients in the hospital overnight (unless they insist on being done as an outpatient).  I am fortunate in that the hospital I use offers a discounted cosmetic surgery program which significantly decreases the costs involved.  The overnight stay helps with pain control as well as drain education.

A hospital bed rental is likely not needed

+1

I do not believe that this is needed.  With proper pain control such as injected Exparel or at least a pain pump one can ambulate just fine after a tummy tuck.  I do almost all of my tummy tucks as an outpatient and let patients go up and down stairs carefully and slowly.  I believe overnight stays in the hospital can be associated with higher risks of infections and blood clots as patients do not ambulate as much and are around sick people.   I know of one patient in the last 10 years that rented a hospital bed for her recovery and do at least one if not 2 or 3 tummy tucks every week so do not believe most people need this.  Speak to your doctor and make sure he/she is using pain control such as Exparel or at least a pain pump and get his/her opinion.  Good luck!

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon