Is It Safe to Have my Wisdom Tooth Extracted While on Accutane?

Accutane and Dental healing

+2

There are no strict guidelines when it comes to this.

Accutane generally effects the stratified squamous epithelium and the mouth is typically lined by mucosa. However it does thicken the level of the gingiva where the teeth are pulled.

It is my overall impression that this would not pose a serious threat. But to be absolutely safe, you would need to wait 1-2 years.

All elective surgery to be avoided during Accutane

+1

All elective surgery is to be avoided while on Accutane because of possible abnormal wound healing. However, for a medically indicated and potentially time-sensitive procedure such as wisdom tooth extraction, you would have to weigh pros and cons knowing that there could be exuberant gum tissue proliferation after wisdom teeth removal.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Accutane and Vein Surgery

+1

I stop Accutane for 3 weeks before any vein procedures - such as microphlebectomy, ligation of perforator veins, and certainly limited vein stripping (which is necessary in the very rare circumstance where patients are not candidates for VNUS Closure or EVLT. Accutance retards wound healing and it is wise to stop it when healing and surgical outcomes of cosmesis are important to patients as in venous surgery.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

You would need to weigh the risks and benefits

+1

Accutane in theory increases the risk of scarring associated with surgical procedures. The risk still is low, but I usually advise people to delay elective procedures until 6 months after discontinuation of accutane. If your wisdom tooth is impacted and causing you pain or discomfort, I think it is reasonable to undergo tooth extraction in spite of being on accutane.

Hope I have not confused you.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist