I'm 47 years old and I want to smooth my wrinkles. Am I a candidate for Botox? (photos)

i would like to know what I need to get done. I dont want a facelift, I want to smooth my wrinkles. An estimate of what I should get done. These picture were taken a month ago.thank you

Depends which wrinkles you wish to soften.

+2
Wrinkles around the eyes, between the eyebrows and the forehead can benefit from botox.  The key to good botox treatment is "less is more".  You don't want to have a paralyzed face that can't show expression!
 A good skin care regime is also paramount including daily sunscreen all year round (cloudy and sunny days!).  You may benefit from either lower blephroplasty surgery or filler in your lower eyelid area.  Make sure you get advice from a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. 

I'm 47yo and I want to smooth my wrinkles. Am I a candidate for BoTox?

+1
BoTox, and all forms of Botulinum Toxin A, work by blocking the reuptake of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction. By doing so, it inhibits transmission of signals from one neuron to the next at whichever junction it is working on (e.g., neuro junction, sweat gland junction, etc.) The duration of BoTox is typically 3-4 months on average. It can take up to 7 days for it to take effect.

BoTox is an excellent modality to reduce wrinkles caused by facial animation of the forehead, glabellar area, and crow's feet.  You may also consider a filler or fat grafting to the lower eyelids/tear troughs.  Thank you for the question! Hope this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Candidate for Botox

+1
Botox is excellent for dynamic wrinkles of the corrugator muscle, crow's feet, and forehead. I would consult in person with 3 master physician injectors to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox is part of the solution for your wrinkles.

+1
Botox will certainly help soften the wrinkles and crow's feet around the eyes, and you can consider fillers such as Belotero for under eye hollows. Using a microcannula will help prevent bruising with the filler as well.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non surgical approach

+1
Hi, Rushing into a surgery such as a facelift is definitely not advisable. Most of our patients who have visited us for consultations for facelifts tend to have been having Dermal fillers and anti wrinkle injections for several years. You are a great candidate for these. Upper facial injections for crows feet and between your eyes, plus filler in your tear troughs which will smooth out the under eye area.

Benjamin Norris, MbCHb, FRACS(Plast)
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Botox for upper face wrinkles

+1
A good place to start with Botox is the upper face, particularly the vertical lines between the eyebrows, then maybe crow's feet. Only you can decide if these are your issues. Fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma work well in the midface. Other nonsurgical treatment such as Ulthera can be appropriate for patients in their 40's who are not ready for a facelift.

Richard Baxter, MD

What to do For Aging?

+1
This is a tough question and takes me 15-30 mins in a consultation to address all the areas of concern with aging -- gravitational effects (sagging skin), texture (sun damage, redness), wrinkles (passive and active), loss of volume and resorption.  you really need a full consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon as there are many options depending on your goals and what you look like in person. I wish you the best, Dr. Emer.

Botox for facial wrinkles

+1
Dear Jvaldez:

Thanks for sharing your photos! It appears you have a beautiful arch to your brows, some lines between the brows and folds with mild puffiness of the lower eylids and flattening of the cheeks.

Non-invasive options such as laser and light therapies, skin tightening retinoid products and peels perform their tightening and smoothening of the skin similar to sending your bedspread to the dry cleaners. A more refreshed, even colored, glowing smoother and tighter spread covers the surface of the bed.

Minimally invasive procedures such as fillers provide volume such as adjusting a pillow under the bedspread. Botox and Dysport muscle relaxers act by readjusting the muscular top-sheet which drags the bedspread upwardly. If the bedspread (or skin) continues to fall to the foot of the bed despite fillers, Botox or Dysport you will need to consider a brow lift.

Surgical lifts would be likened to pulling the bedspread and or top-sheet of your bed up to the head-board and removing the excess material while readjusting the fat and soft-tissues of the upper cheek further upward. .

While there is no single best answer for you, you may wish to consider Botox to minimize the crease lines and maintain the arch of your brow. Retinoids (retinol or retinoic acid) skin therapies to exfolliate and stimulate collagen for line reduction. Fillers to volumize the cheeks and improve the eyelid/cheek fold and / or lower eye lid lift to improve the flattening of the cheek, eyelid/cheek fold and lower lid puffiness.

I hope this has been helpful. Please consult with a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to review the limitations, side-effects, risks and benefits of each option with you.

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Smooth wrinkles with Botox

+1
You would be an excellent candidate for Botox and could get a nice result to smooth out and soften wrinkles between your eyes (glabella), forehead, and around the eyes (Crows feet). Depending on the areas you are interested in addressing, you may also be a candidate for fillers. I would recommend a consultation with a qualified, board certified provider for a full evaluation and discussion of your options. Good luck!

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX will definitely help with smoothing away wrinkles

+1
The photos are helpful but not sufficient as a consultation tool to determine where exactly you would benefit from BOTOX Cosmetic injections.  It really depends what lines you have from expression. Most women in their forties have treatments between their eyebrows (the frown lines) and the outer eyes (crow's feet). During a consultation, the physician will be able to assess your dynamic wrinkles by having you express (frown , smile, squint) and then a recommendation can be made. The physician may also suggest some dermal filler to address wrinkles/lines at rest.  Look for a qualified, experienced physician in your area, that really is the first step.

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon