What Should I Do if I Have Had Inverted Nipples my Whole Life and They Have Never Went Out?

im 14 and i have inverted nipples and i dont know what to do its very embarrassing and i think it might be a sign of breast cancer. i havint told anyone about it, not my mother or my docter its very embarrassing i really need help!:(

Inverted nipples

+1

Inverted nipples are not uncommon, and at your age, you don't have to worry that it is cancer related.  It's caused by short milk ducts under the nipple that tether the nipple so it can't protrude normally.  The condition can be corrected surgically under local anesthesia by releasing the tissue under the nipple, pulling the nipple outward and supporting it in that position while things heal.  The surgery can interfere with future breast feeding (but women with inverted nipples sometimes can't breast feed anyway) and can possibly cause nipple numbness.  It's better to wait until your breasts are fully developed before having the procedure and this would be around age 18.  Don't be embarrassed to talk to your mom about it.

Kingsport Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.