Are Wireless Push Up Bras Safe to Wear After Breast Augmentation?

Hello, I am scheduled to have surgery in roughly 5 weeks and I am trying to prepare the best I can. However, I have no idea what size I will be and I do not know what bras are okay to wear other than the initial front closure wireless bra. I am currently a 32A and would like to be a 32D. Being only 5'3" and 108lbs/rather thin, I have chosen the 525cc Implants and the doctor says if they wont work he will use 470cc about what size will I roughly be & are wireless pushup bras safe after surgery?

Bras post op

+1

Hello. When deciding on a bra different things are better for different people. Factors would include size and placement of the incision. A sports bra that zips in front tend to work best soon after the operation. It is best to give your breasts time for swelling to go down and heal some before buying new bras for everyday use.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Type Bra after Breast Augmentation

+1

Yes, push-up bras are generally OK after about 6 weeks. The question, though, is why you would think you would need one. After all, you are having the surgery to fill the breast. If you choose the right size, and you should obtain your desired size with what you plan, then all you need is a properly fitting bra. After about 8 weeks when all the swelling is down, see a bra fitter and get a bra that fits properly.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Are Wireless Push Up Bras Safe to Wear After Breast Augmentation...

+1

The post operative care after Breast Augmentation is very important and should be followed directly from your Plastic Surgeon. It is strongly advised to only wear a sports bra that zips up in the front for at least four weeks. It`s important to only wear the sports bra because the breasts need to stay securely in place to allow proper healing. You should wait at least two months before buying new bras so that the swelling will be gone and you can better determine your final size.  Before wearing a push up bra it is recommended to see your Plastic Surgeon to be sure you're fully healed.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

+1

Our patients can use push-up bras after 6 weeks.  This includes wired bras. We have not seen a problem with this schedule.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Questions about size and post-op bras.

+1

If you mean by a D cup that you want to turn heads when you walk in the room because of your look, I think that is likely, since you are choosing a larger implant for your height.  It should work ok if you (and your present or future partner) are comfortable with the attention that you will get as a result.

It sounds like your surgeon is being responsible about making sure your implant isn't too big for the space that is available, so your implant doesn't wear out prematurely from being folded over from getting squashed into too small a space.

You will likely wear a stretchy but supportive bra right after surgery and then change to something else when your healing has progressed a little bit.  While it is understandable that you want to find pretty bras now, wait a little while and choose your bras after surgery so you get the best fit.  A non-underwire is usually a good choice in the beginning.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Implants and bra

+1

A simple way to determine wha tsize you wil lbe is to do a baggy test with the volume of the proposed implants. I avoid puhs up bras during the early post-op period. Ask you doctor as well.

What size will I be and are wireless push-up bras safe after breast augmentation?

+1

The simple answer is that wireless push-up bras are safe after breast augmentation although most surgeons will recommend not wearing one for at least 2 months after your initial operation.  After that, go for it!

As for your final size, there is no way to predict based upon your height.  That is something that your PS can ballpark much easier based upon your individual measurements, quality of skin, degree of tissue laxity, and size of implants used.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Wireless Bras after Breast Augmentation

+1

I would not purchase any new bras yet.  You need to be fitted after surgery.  Your surgeon needs to advise you on styles based upon the route taken and the healing process.  Kenneth Hughes, MD  Los Angeles, CA

+1

This question would be better posed to your surgeon. The choice depends on a number of factors, including incision, implant placement above or below the pectoralis, size of implant, and surgeon preference. 

Buying bras without knowing the size you will need will not be particularly helpful.

Guessing cup sizes is never a great idea, since there are no uniform standards. If you tried these implants on, expect to be just a little smaller with the same size implanted. Find a size that accomplishes your goal, verify that they are appropriate for you chest wall, and ignore the cup size.

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Bra size after augmentation

+1

My patients DO NOT buy bras before surgery.  Often a strap/band is used post-operatively until they are near perfect then they can purchase a couple of bras (wire is fine) to wear and to start supporting the breasts when 'perfect' is achieved.  At that point, you can get sized and purchase the styles you like.  Push up bras are fine once you are happy with your results.

Curtis Wong, MD