Is a Breast Lift Needed with my Augmentation? (photo)

Hi! I was quoted as being a 'good candidate' for a peri-areolar lift with my augmentation (via a virtual consultation). I'm not sure of the grade of my ptosis, but I am fully aware that there is some droop. In your opinion, would there be a significant difference? Thanks!

Do I need a breast lift

+1

Your nipple and areola on the right side appear to be lower than the left side in the frontal view. The lateral view of the right side is not very clear but you appear to have some ptosis. Sizing of your implants is critical and you probably need a little touch up lift at the same time for a better finished look.

You may not need any lift

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  You appear to be in a category where an augmentation alone would suffice as well as a possible purse-string lift would be mildly helpful.  Your options at this time would be to get the augmentation alone or to also add a purse-string mastopexy.  If you are receiving an average size augmentation of around 350 you may want to choose to have the augmentation alone and reassess later on if you also desire a small lift which you will likely not need.  The smaller the implant the more likely it is that you may also benefit from a small lift using a purse-string mastopexy.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Breasst lift and augmentation?

+1

Some women with mild ptosis will benefit from a periareola or circumareola lift along with implants. An exam in person will help determine this. I do them all the time and patients are usually very happy with the improvement.

You don't always need a breast lift

+1

Based on the photos above, you don't need a breast lift with a breast augmentation to get good results.  From the side view, your nipples appear to be at or above your inframammary fold which is where they should be.  Although there is never a 100% guarantee that won't need a lift, implants alone will most likely give the your breast the fullness they need to fill them out and make them look great.  Worst case scenario, is that you can always still get a breast lift later if you need it.   I recommend that you get a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon experienced with breast augmentations before making your final decision.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Is a Breast Lift Needed with my Augmentation?

+1

A breast lift is not crucial to good results with your anatomy, but it will give a different look to the breasts. You need an examination and consultation in person by a skilled surgeon to give you an idea of what the difference would be with or without the lift.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Lift needed with Augmentation?

+1

To start off I would say that I do not know how anyone could give you a definitive surgical plan without seeing you in person. Photographs are inconsistent and do not always provide a clear picture of your anatomy. It is also critical to assess things like skin compliance and consistency of breast tissue and this cannot be done in a "virtual" consultation.

That said, I think your photos do show that your situation is such that there is not a clear straightforward solution. Your breasts appear to be low on your chest and nipple/areola is rotated outwards. You do have some ptosis (droop), but your nipple position does not appear to be significantly below the fold under your breast. Also the space between your breasts is somewhat wide and your breast is relatively wide based.

I think that you could get a reasonable result with just an augmentation. It would require a somewhat larger implant and some modification of your breast tissue. I agree with Dr. Greco in that I do not think a periareolar mastopexy would be a good choice. It tends to flatten your breast (yours is already somewhat flattened), and the scars are often not very satisfactory. Peri-areolar lifts mostly just adjust the nipple position and take out some loose skin, but your nipple position is not that low. What would benefit you most would be some elevation of your actual breast tissue, and that would be better accomplished with a verticle or tradtional type lift. I think crescent lifts are worthless as they accomplish minimal lifting and only tend to elongate your areola.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a breast lift in addition to augmentation?

+1

Looking at your photographs it appears that you have some asymmetry between the 2 breasts which is fairly common. From the photos it is hard to decide whether you will need a breast lift. You may be able to avoid it.But you must be exmined by a Board Certified plastic surgeon which would be the best  way of knowing what you need. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Peri-areolar Breast Lift and Breast Augmentation in Los Angeles

+1

Breast sagging that is associated with breast emptiness after pregnancy is often treated with breast augmentation as well as a crescent or peri-aroelar breast lift. there are many plus and minuses that you should learn about a periareolar breast augmentation during your consultation.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Lift with augmentation

+1

Sometimes implants alone can create an illusion of a lift...however, they are never going to replace a lift if that is necessary.  Though added volume will help to fill your breast skin, you have two issues that still exist, one is a small amount of drooping that could be accentuated by the implants, the other is the size of your areolas which will likely stretch even more than the size that they are now after augmentation.  A periareolar lift will address both of these issues to provide a more desirable shape and areola size.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Deciding wether you need a lift with an augmentation?

+1

Breast Ptosis is too much skin for the amount of volume.  It is often after having a baby - (postpartum atrophy) or weight loss.  The answer is decided by the following things:

1) How much larger do you want to be?

2) How "loose" is your skin quality?

3) How perky do you want to be?

4) And a you a good scar healer and willing to have scars.

You have too much skin for the amount of volume.  You either add volume, remove skin, or some of each.

You could get a reasonble result with Aug alone.  Better with vertical mastopexy.  I do not like periareolar lifts in most patients ( it flattens the breast mound shape).

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon