Upper Eyelid Incision Not Even 38 Days Post Op? (photo)

Hi I had upper eyelid surgery done on May 1st 2013 and I noticed that my left eye incision was not in the crease. Now 38 days later I see a significant difference in the size of my eye lids and they look very uneven to me. In addition the incision on the outside corner on the left had opened overnight and stitches were added so now there is more scaring too. Is there a chance that this will normalize over time or do I need to have a revision done ASAP. This does not look good to me!

Upper Eyelid Incision Not Even 38 Days Post Op?

+2

I would wait 3 to 6 months before committing to another operation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Still healing from surgery

+2

The asymmetry is very mild and it is too early after surgery and you are still swollen and healing. As a note, upper blepharoplasty removes excess loose skin from the upper eyelid. It is does not address any underlying eyelid ptosis (droopy) if present.  Once you are healed from your surgery (at least another 2 months), then you can re-evaluate for any asymmetry and underlying ptosis.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelids incisions are never symmetrical

+2

Eyelids incisions are never symmetrical, Also, eyes on both sides are never equal in size. Wait for another 2-3 months for the final result.

Nabil Fanous, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Modest asymmetry of the upper lids after surgery may take several months to completely resolve.

+2

The asymmetry in the photograph could easily be explained by asymmetrical swelling. I don't think there's anything to worry about now. If it persists, which I doubt, a surgical correction might be indicated.

+2

Unfortunately you NEED to be more patient even at 38 days post op. Allow 3 months of healing before considering revision. 

Asymmetry 38 days after upper eyelid blepharoplasty?

+2

It's so hard to say without seeing your pre-op photo's. It's not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other, and it's really important to understand that no two eyelids ever look exactly the same. I strongly recommend you see your Plastic Surgeon for reassurance and guidance.

Jennifer Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Assymetry to upper lid eyelid surgery.

+2

There does appear to be  some assymetries to the height of the eyelid incision on the left side, but this may yet improve with time.  Please give this several months before any decision is made about the need for revisional surgery.  Also be aware that the revisional surgery is quite simple and often can be performed under local anesthesia in the office

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty asymmetry

+2

There does appear to be a degree of asymmetry with the incision on your right side not directly in the supratarsal crease.  The supratarsal crease is at the superior edge of a small piece of cartilage on you eyelid called the tarsal plate.  It is into the tarsal plate that the levator muscle (elevator of the eyelid) attaches.  The incision is generally placed about 7 to 9 mm above the lash line.  It is important to mark out this key landmark prior to surgery as this can lead to asymmetry.  In your case it is still very early and things will change over the next 3 to 6 months.  If you still have asymmetry then discuss a revision with your plastic surgeon at that time.  

Eyelid incision differences

+2

It is always helpful to look at preop photos as well. But in any event, at this point you have to let things heal and settle down. I would not do anything for at least 6 months or longer.

+2

I have performed Eyelid Surgery for over 25 years and the notion of right and left handedness for incisions seems just plain silly.  The upper eyelid incisions can and do looky wavy from the running suture technique used to close the incision.  These will soften but can take 2 -3 months to completely resolve.  If you have any questions, ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery.