I Have a keloid scar on top of my ankle. It hurts like crazy if knocked up against. What treatment would you recommend? (photos)

it's been there 10 yrs

Scar therapy

+1
You may actually have a hypertrophic scar, not a keloid scar.
The gold standard for hypertrophic (thickened, raised and red) scar therapy is pressure and time - occasionally a year or more. If this fails then scar revision surgery may be considered. Although the results of scar therapy vary from person to person and scar to scar, the results are considered permanent.
Not infrequently potential patients avoid surgery because fear of an unsightly scar. To remedy this, I now utilize and formulate compounded topical creams to treat, relieve and minimize scars for each of my patients:
• new scars
• old scars
• surgical scars
• keloid scars
• stretch marks
• hypertrophic scars
• hyperpigmented (dark) scars
• various acne scars, and more...
These scar removal creams contain prescription strength medications each individually known to reduce and/or reverse the scarring process but never before compounded together into one high potency formulation. These medications are added to a base of anhydrous silicone (the most common ingredient in everyday topical scar therapy) and Pracaxi oil, found in the Amazon rainforest and known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Many health insurance plans actually cover the cost of the creams and they can be delivered directly to the patients door step. In other words, no need for multiple trips to the doctor for expensive and painful laser treatments, or wasted money on minimally effective over-the-counter topical scar therapy gels or silicone sheets that are unsightly and/or fail to stay on. Instead, with just two applications a day my patients now perform scar therapy in the comfort of their own home. Glad to help.

Painful & Itchy Keloids Respond Well To Intralesional Injections

+1
Keloid scars and hypertrophic scars characteristically stick up above the skin surface and not uncommonly can be itchy, tender or even painful. Fortunately, most can be easily treated via injections of anti-inflammatory agents, most commonly triamcinolone acetonide suspension, in varying concentrations depending upon symptoms, size, and location. In some cases, treatment needs to be repeated in three to four weeks with the same or greater concentration in order to achieve full relief of symptoms. I suggest you consult with a board certified dermatologist.

Some keloids are more resistant and required surgical debulking followed by the use of injected antiinflammatory agents and/or topical immune modulating agents like imiquimod in order to achieve satisfactory improvement in size and symptoms.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Keloid on Leg

+1
My suggestion is to see a dermatologist, there are many treatment options for a scar like this.  I wish you the best, Dr. Emer.