Will Wisdom Tooth Extraction Affect Invisalign?

I have two wisdom teeth that have been bothering me, and I had been thinking of getting them removed. I just got started with Invisalign and prior to treatment, I asked my orthodontist if I should get my wisdom teeth removed prior to treatment. He said it doesn't matter and even if I get it removed during treatment, it should not negatively affect my Invisalign treatment. Does this sound right?

I agree with your Orthodontist

+4

Great question! This is the same advice I would give to my patients in invisalign. Having Wisdom teeth removed prior, during, or after treatment does not usually negatively affect the treatment outcome.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

No. it does't affect.

+4

It depends on your dentist treatment plan. If he didn't get involved the wisdom tooth with the invisalign from the begining it does't affect your treatment.

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

May require trimming aligner... treatment may be delayed but outcome should be the same

+3

We have had several patients who have removed wisdom teeth during treatment. If they were at all partially erupted, the aligners always fit at least partially over these teeth to prevent overeruption. For these patients, we trim and smooth out the aligner so that the 2nd molar is the most distal tooth in the aligner.

If they were fully impacted, there is no need to modify the trays.

However, as with many patients who have wisdom tooth extraction, there may be swelling and discomfort preventing you from wearing your Invisalign as required for a few days to a week. This may require stepping back a stage or wearing the current stage for a longer period of time to make sure treatment stays on track.

In cases of requiring distalization of upper teeth, upper wisdom teeth must be removed just prior or during treatment in order to allow movement to occur. Without these extractions, there may be no room for the top teeth to move backwards.

If extraction of these teeth is not required for tooth movement, we generally advise patients to remove them prior or after Invisalign.

Good luck!

Toronto Orthodontist

No. It' won't affect the movement...might even help

+3

The removal of your wisdom teeth might relieve a little pressure in your mouth actually. Hopefully, when your trays were fabricated from Invisalign they DID NOT include the wisdom teeth in EACH tray. If they did, obviously you'll have an empty (annoying) space where that tooth was.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Not a problem

+3

Wisdom tooth removal at anytime during invisalign treatment should have no effect on your treatment goal. If the aligners include the wisdom teeth, just have your dentist trim the aligner.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Wisdom Teeth and Invisalign

+2

Yes, that is absolutely correct. Wisdom teeth should not affect Invisalign treatment. However, if they are bothering you, it might be advisable to  seek a consultation with an oral surgeon.

New York Orthodontist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.