Will Tummy Tuck Swelling Subside if I Lose Weight?

I've gained about 10 lbs since I had a Tummy Tuck a year and a half ago. My right side did not heal as well as my left. It looks puffy/swollen now, but it has been a little puffy after the healing began. Now, it sticks out more. Will this go away when I lose the 10 lbs? Will I need to have a tummy tuck again?

You may benefit from tumescent or Smartlipo liposuction

+2

Mthompson8882, It is hard to tell you situation without examining your or seeing a picture. However, from what you are describing, you would probably benefit from liposuction or Smartlipo to help smooth out the contours.

Having cosmetic surgery (abdominoplasty / liposuction) does not prevent you from gaining weight. Even after surgery you still need to maintain a healthy lifestyle and have good nutrition. Good luck with your surgery.

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

It is likely that losing weight will get you back to the original post-operative result. However, it sounds as if you would benefit from an extended abdominoplasty.

Changes in abdominoplasty after weight gain

+1

Abdominoplasty procedures are performed to improve the contour of the abdomen. However, perfect symmetry is very difficult to achieve. If you had contour abnormalities that did not resolve, often times these can become more obvious with weight gain. If you lose the weight, you may notice improvement in the area. Often, these types of irregularities can be treated with minor procedures or a small amount of liposuction. I recommend bringing it to the attention of your plastic surgeon to find out what your options are.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Asymmetry with Weight Gain after a Tummy Tuck

+1

If the amount of abdominal skin was not the same after surgery, weight gain may result in asymmetry fat distribution as well. If you could lose weight, the asymmetry should get better. If you cannot lose it with diet and exercise, you may want to consider Liposuction. This should be able to sculpt and remove the stubborn fat you could not.

Swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is a popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. In our practice, we recommend that the patients initiate a rigorous exercise regimen after their surgery and that they continue with a balanced and low-fat diet. These two actions will ensure that you maintain your beautiful new results. If you continue to lose weight, even a year after surgery, you can improve the overall appearance of your abdomen and trunk. You should consider initiating a healthy low-fat diet and exercise to determine how your abdomen will change. If you want a more significant change, you may consider additional liposuction or a small revision of the tummy tuck to further contour your abdomen.
To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tummy tuck swelling

+1

Diferential fullness after a tummy tuck while can occur is not usually common. Yes, there is often some mild asymmtery, but if you have significantly bulging tissue 1 year after a tummy tuck on one side, then a revision of liposuction can probably help. If you are planning to lose some weight, then I would suggest doing that first to see how the area responds.

Liposuction after tummy tuck can improve results

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your weight gain after your tummy tuck a year and half ago. The good news is the weight gain you describe is modest and with weight loss your surgery is unlikely to need revision. Exercise programs and a personal trainer may help you improve abdominal strength and tone.

You did mention, however, that even right after your procedure you noticed a little extra fullness on the right side and felt it didn't heal as well. After you loose weight and strengthen, your surgeon may be able to refine the area with a small amount of liposuction. This can be done as a local procedure and we like to use a syringe technique because it is very accurate for touch ups.

Don't get discouraged and good luck with your weight loss.

It might.

+1

If the problems are caused by fat you added, then losing weight should help. It sounds like you should go back to your plastic surgeon and ask them. It is not always possible to give you the correct answer without seeing your problems. Weight gain can ruin a lovely result.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD