Will Smart Lipo Help on Lumpy Stomach Fat?

I am 50 yrs. old and I have had 3 children of 29, 26 and 23. I was just lazy after they were born and didn't work on losing my stomach fat. I now have been working out on a pretty regular schedule for the last few years but I can't seem to ever tighten up the lumpy looking fat on my stomach and abdomen area. The rest of my body is not so bad but I am still trying to eat better and work out regularly so this will stay ok. I don't have any pictures at this time.

Will Smart lipo help remove the lumpy stomach fat? Will it tighten up my stomach area?

You really should consider a tummy tuck

+3

Liposuction (of any type - traditional, ultrasonic, VASER, laser, "smart lipo", etc) removes fat from below the skin surface. There is a small amount of skin "tightening" as healing occurs below the skin surface, but this only moderate.

If you already have a loose and "lumpy" stomach, you would probably be doing yourself a disservice by choosing liposuction. At least consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does both procedures, and discuss your options and expected outcomes.

Good luck! I'm glad to see you are researching - it is the best way to make an informed decision.

It all depends on how much elasticity there is to the skin and the skill and judgment of the surgeon

+2

This is a common thing that we have to make a decision upon whenever we see a patient who is looking at either SmartLipo or tummy tuck. As it makes a big difference both in cost and in recovery time, it is very important that the surgeon give as good an estimate of your chances as possible.

Usually, I can pinpoint to about 1% those who need a tummy tuck. Most don't, but some absolutely need it. On the other hand, I find that if you go to a plastic surgeon rather than a dermatologist, there is much more likelihood that you will get a tummy tuck as they are more likely to recommend it.

Given the fact that the scar of a tummy tuck can be horrible and the recovery time is months rather than days, it makes a big difference and it is worth checking out both options. Good luck on your decision.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Smartlipo versus Tummy Tuck

+1

If you have lumpy fat and loose abdominal skin, then an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck may be the best option for you.  If you post a pictures, then we may be able to give you more specific advice.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD