Will Septoplasty Suture Scars Even Out?

I had Septoplasty done a week ago. The splint and bandages where removed earlier today. I understand there will be swelling for some time and that it is normal for the tip to be a bit bigger than expected, so I'm over that shock! My concern is with the scarring from the stitches. I have indentations on the outside of both nostrils that are uneven towards the face. Should I be concerned? Is there something I can do to prevent scarring? Thank you for your help and answers.

Postoperative Appearance of Incisions after Septoplasty or Rhinoplasty

+2

The appearance of incisions after surgery is most dependent on the technique of suturing and postoperative swelling and edema. In many cases, it is too early to determine the long term outcome of a scar based on the appearance at one week. During the early period, the skin will be edematous and that will contribute to an uneven appearance of the incision.

Speak to your surgeon early on in order to maximize tissue healing. In some cases, early intervention is key to success.

1 week is too early to asses postoperative results

+2

You can certainly ask your doctor during one of your postoperative visits.

However, 1 week after surgery, the incisions are still very fresh and have considerable softening ahead of them!

Your doctor may advise you how to minimize scars with creams and gels for external scars, if any, and keeping the internal incisions clean and well moistened.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Still early ,work with your surgeon on the details

+2

One week after surgery is still too early for the swelling to settle down. You just had the splint removed which could leave you with some indentations.

I'm not sure if you ad an open approach (outside incision ) or only on the inside . Also whether you had tip rhinoplasty with this procedure. A septoplasty only procedure is usually done from the inside of the nose, except if there is extensive septal work to be done. Both approaches are valid though.

I would address all these issues with your surgeon .He is the only one who has all the peri-operative details and will be able to address all your questions .

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Suture marks after rhinoplasty

+1

Suture marks may be very prominent early post-op. This is most likely due to swelling.  Give it some time before you get too upset with how it looks. 

Too Early to Tell

+1

Indentations on the outside of the nose can be a cause for concern. However, the early period after rhinoplasty is tenuous. Small details like sleeping on your back or improper placement of the cast can create imperfections in the nose. Over time once the swelling begins to resolve hopefully your indentations improve and do not become more pronounced.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to tell

+1

This soon after surgery, there is swelling of the tissues that can make suture lines look much worse than they will after full healing has occurred. Please stay close to your doctor and ask these questions and work through the healing process with them. Chances are you will be fine. You can also use some topical creams, emu oil for example, and massage the scars.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS