Younger Looking Nose from Rhinoplasty?

My nose looks a lot different now than it did when I was younger. I now seem to have a bothersome hump that wasn't there before. Would rhinoplasty surgery correct this age-related change in my nose?

Rhinoplasty surgery can address age-related nasal changes

+5

It's obvious when we look at our grandparents that their nose has aged as well as other areas of the face and body. These changes have all been classically described.

In general terms, you will note that newborns have a nasal dorsum that is concave (naturally scooped) with an upturned tip while in the elderly, the tendency is for the dorsum to appear convex with a ptotic (droopy) tip. Not all people will experience age-related changes to the same degree nor will all patients necessarily find this cause for concern.

As we age, the nasal tip often droops, resulting in an apparent dorsal hump. All we need do to see this is to look at photographs of our grandparents in comparison to their younger counterparts.

It always appears as if a hump has grown with time; in truth, this is an optical illusion since our noses don’t grow substantially after the age of maturity. Rather, as the tip drops creating an acute nasolabial angle, the dorsum appears more prominent in contrast to the tip. The drooping of the tip can sometimes significantly worsen nasal breathing as well.

To correct these changes, we follow a specific surgical sequence that we have found allows us to optimally restore your nose to its more youthful appearance without making dramatic changes in your look.

Rhinoplasty Can Be Rejuvenating

+2

The effect of Rhinoplasty can be very rejuvenating because the nose changes and grows as we age.

It may not be possible to exactly duplicate the nose of your youth, but rhinoplasty can add to a more youthful appearance, and is often a consideration when people request Facelift for facial rejuvenation.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Looking Younger with Rhinoplasty

+1
As we age, one can develop a relative nasal hump, a long nose with a drooping nasal tip, so rhinoplasty can certainly be age related. Rhinoplasty done after age 50, is done more for refinement and to correct a drooping nasal tip. This requires expertise from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Otolaryngologist with significant experience and expertise in Rhinoplasty.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

TO make changes to alter the nose to look like it did in youth?  Can possible be achieved.  A dorsal hump is present from an accident?  or grew with age?  Old photos would be helpful.

The Rhinoplasty Rejuvenation

+1

In general, the rhinoplasty is not considered to be a "rejuvenating" procedure for the aging face.  Face lift and eye lid procedures are more commonly performed to address the effects of aging.  However, your question is a good one because there are structural changes in the nose that occur with aging.  Such changes include a drooping or "plunging" nasal tip which tends to accentuate a dorsal hump that may have always been present but was less obvious.  Both the dorsal hump and the drooping tip can be readily addressed with a rhinoplasty procedure, effectively creating a more youthful appearance overall.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

The optical illusion of the aging nasal hump

+1

Frequently the appearance of a nasal hump as you age is not due to a true enlargement but rather to lack of support of the nasal tip which falls and creates the illusion of a bump. Typically, one of the easiest methods to correct this is to restore tip projection which creates the illusion of a smaller hump.

Rhinoplasty can correct age related changes.

+1

Aging can affect the nose.  The primary changes that occurs with age is a loss of support.  The tip tends to loose support and tends to droop.  This can cause an apparent hump and can make the nose appear longer.  These issues can easily be corrected with a rhinoplasty.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can restore a younger appearance to the nose

+1

Rhinoplasty can reshape the nose to create a more youthful appearance.  As we age our noses also age.  For example, our noses can take on more of an elongated or droopy appearance, especially the nasal tip.  The hump on the nose can certainly be corrected/straightened to give a more youthful look.  I would recommend you bring in some photos of yourself when you were younger to show your surgeon.  I prefer to use 3D imaging on my patients to show them, in advance of surgery, what nasal contour they can expect to see after rhinoplasty.  Athough this is a computerized simulation,  it helps to ensure that the patient and surgeon have the same aesthetic vision and goals.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to scheduling rhinoplasty surgery.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Rhinoplasty can restore a more youthful appearance to the nose

+1

Rhinoplasty can improve the appearance of the nose and many people find this makes them look younger.  The surgery does not change the aging face, but can elevate a nasal tip that droops with age.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reversing the signs of aging in the nose

+1

As we age the nose changes with thinning skin, drooping tip and other aspects becoming more prominent.  Theses signs of aging can be reversed with surgery to raise the tip and refine other elements of the nose involving bone and cartilage, and occasionally, skin.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD