Facial Angioma Laser Treatment Side Effects

Will Pulsed Dye Laser Cause Any Side Effect (Permanent or Otherwise) if Done on Facial Angioma? 

Pulsed Dye Laser Safe for Facial Angiomas

+1
Facial angiomas are small blood vessel growths that are very effectively treated with pulsed dye laser.  In fact, it is usually the standard of care in our office.  Pulsed dye laser have been used for safely for more than 20 years in treating blood vessel birthmarks in kids.  For facial angiomas, the red spots will turn purple (bruising) after treatment then slowly fade over the next week or two.  You may have some minor swelling associated with it.  As with any laser treatment, there is always a minor risk of blister and scar-- but if the right settings are used, these risks are minimal. This is a very satisfying treatment and a "home run" in my office.  Patients usually need only 1-2 treatments for the spots to be gone. Best, Dr. Mann

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment of angiomas on the face and body

+1

Facial angiomas are best treated with pulse dye lasers. Small angiomas are easy to treat and rarely are associated with complications.  I perform this treatment often in my office. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Side Effects from Pulsed Dye Laser for BLood Vessel Treatment

+1

Pulsed dye lasers can be used for the treatment of blood vessels. They target the blood cells and cause the blood vessels to be destroyed.  Side effects can occur, and these include discomfort during the procedure, swelling, and bruising. A rare side effect is the development of a scar.  This can happen if the skin is not properly cooled during the procedure and excess heat is applied to the skin.  Scarring is a rare side effect, but theoretically could occur.   It is important to have the procedure performed by a physician experienced in using the laser. 

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Pulsed dye laser

+1

While any laser treatment has risks, pulsed dye lasers are the standard of care for treatment of small facial angiomas and port wine stains in patients over the age of 10.  Scars are rare.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon