Mary Kay Microdermabrasion Work As Well As a Spa Microdermabrasion?

i'd prefer to do at-home microdermabrasion using a kit.  Do these work as well as getting a treatment in a spa?

Consultation With A Board Certified Dermatologist Is The Best Way To Tailor A Treatment Plan to Specific Cosmetic Concerns

+1

Microdermabrasion, is as the name clearly suggests, a kind of very superficial abrasion, or epidermabrasion, of the skin surface. It is best for removal of dead surface skin cells, dirt, grease, grime and environmental pollutants. In my experience little more can be expected from this given its very superficial nature. For this reason, home cleansing devices, like Clarisonic and all kinds of home microdermabrasion kits are commercially available.

In my experience, microdermabrasion yields little more than a slightly improved smoothness in texture and a healthier glow to the skin--not much different than that which could be achieved with Buf-Pufs, Loofahs, and even a vigorously used wash cloth. I likewise have not been particularly impressed with the results of professional microdermabrasion.

Since your question gives no indication of what condition you are treating--whether acne or wrinkles or skin discolorations, it is impossible to suggest what might be a more effective and more appropriate course of action. For fine wrinkles, for example, a series of mild chemical peels, Botox, or fillers might be appropriate. For mottled discolorations, it might be the combined use of certain peels and home prescription medications. For acne scars, it might be subcision and medical microneedling. The point is that a consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience with all the various modalities available for the whole gamut of skin problems might prove a better investment in time and money.

Home microdermabrasion

+1

Your at-home microdermabrasion kit will not be as effective as an in-office microdermabrasion treatment.  You will still have some smoothing of your skin and mild collagen production, but be careful.  An aggressive home treatment  could cause potential scarring.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist