Will Liposuction Help or Aggravate Upper Arm Lymphedema?

thank you, LA.

Liposuction and lymphedema

+2

Thanks for the question -

Lymphedema can significantly increase complications from liposuction and liposuction doesn't typically produce long term improvements.

Treatment for lymphedema can include compression garments and lymphatic massage. Surgical treatments for lymphedema have been somewhat disappointing. Part of the solution to your issue may depend on the cause of your lymphedema. Post-surgical lymphedema (from a lymph node dissection for example) has different implications than lymphedema from other causes.

This is not a good idea

+2

20 years ago, a plastic surgeon I was training with did studies on the treatment of lymphedema with liposuction. Early successes were just from fluid removal. The hope was that scar tissue would inhibit the recurrence of the edema but that did not happen. This plus the difficulty fighting infection in the face of lymphedema make liposuction in this setting not a good idea.

Caution with liposuction in lymphedematous arms

+2

This is a tough question. My general inclination is to discourage the use of this technique for this problem. Lymphedematous arms are more prone to infection and poor wound healing due to increased tissue fluids and impaired oxygen diffusion through the tissues. However, I am aware, as no doubtedly you are, that there are reports of improvement with this modality.

If you are considering this, I would highly recommend a specialist who has vast experience in treating patients. At the very least I would seek the services of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I would also consider this in a hospital setting.

I wouldn't do it.

+1

Lymphedema is different from fat, as you know.  The outflow tracts for draining lymph are not functiong well.  Liposuction will create a lot of swelling, and may well damage more lymph structures.  I see a high potential for complications that may not be able to foresee

sek

If you have true lymphedema, do not have liposuction in that area

+1

Hello

Lymphedema is a serious condition and it will only be made worse by having liposuction in the area. Liposuction , just like any other surgery, will lead to swelling and bruising. While it is temporary, the swelling relies on an intact lymphatic system to help remove the swelling. Lymphedema would be a contraindication to liposuction in my practice.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Difficult subject, be careful

+1

It is a very sensitive subject. A fully developed case of lymphedema will not benefit from liposuction. Care must be exercised when performing this in order not to interfere with the delicate lymphatics. Primary lymphedema used to be treated with compression and later liposuction. Conservative treatment is still the most useful procedure for mild and moderate cases. Lymphatic-venous anastomosis did not deliver the desired result. A new free tissue transfer technique pioneered in Asia promised to be helpful.

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/liposuction/