Will Liposuction Help Me with Diabetes Weight Control?

I have diabetes and a doctor said it would be helpful to get rid of extra fat from liposuction. This would make me manage diabetes better. Would you agree?

Liposuction will not likely help Diabetes

+2

Liposuction does not make significant differences in overall weight and usually only changes your total body fat levels by small amounts. Because of this, it is unlikely that you will get any improvement in blood sugar control from liposuction.

Weight loss and diet are better ways to help control this Type 2 Diabetes.

Liposuction is for contouring, not weight loss

+2

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure. Rather, it is meant to sculpt and contour the body. Although clinical studies have shown that glucose control is improved with removal of high volumes of fat stores, the most beneficial health program to improve your glucose control is a well regulated regimen of exercise and diet.

Liposuction is a great procedure, but its indications should be adhered to in order to maintain its high safety profile.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lipo and diabetes

+1

Liposuction is not a good solution to improve your diabetes.  It sounds liek your doctor wants you to lose weight which is best accomplished by diet and exercise.

Diabetes, Cosmetic Surgery and LIPOSUCTION

+1

Diabetes Mellitus is not a single disease bu a family of disorders with different manifestations in different people whose common denominator is the impaired transport of sugar INTO cells. Early forms of diabetes are related to obesity and the RESISTANCE of fat cells to the effects of Insulin in trying to remove sugar from the blood and put it into cells. It has been shown that large losses of weight in THESE early cases is associated in a drop in Insulin resistance as well as a drop in blood sugar.

Several years ago there were a few articles that demonstrated transient improvement in diabetics with liposuction but no one has scientifically proven that liposuction reverses diabetes. Moreover, at most the maximum amount of fat that can be suction in an outpatient settings is about 10 pounds. Not much in people who are 40 pounds or greater overweight.

At present, no plastic surgeon would advocate liposuction as either a weight loss measure or as a treatment for diabetes. You would get a much safer and greater response with a regime of diet and exercise.

Liposuction is not for weight loss.

+1

Hi.

Liposuction is great to get rid of bulges and improve shape, but I do not believe it is useful for significant long term weight control.  Not what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction and Diabetes

+1

Star

Diet and exercise leading to weight loss can help Type-II diabetes. Some doctors feel that removal of excess fat cells by liposuction also helps decrease insulin resistance. I have not seen any studies that confirm this, but I have seen many patients use liposuction as an incentive to start exercising and dieting.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Generally no

+1

Liposuction properly performed isn't for weight loss and the more fat you remove the more the complications arise. There was a time when massive amounts of liposuction were being performed more commonly and some doctors felt this made diabetes better. I don't think most quality plastic surgeons now would advise that you try to assist in the management of your diabetes with anything like liposuction. Exercise, diet, and insulin and oral hypoglycemic agents have always been the cornerstones of diabetes management.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction will probably not help

+1

This is debatable, but I think the results are not reliable enough for me to recommend it for that purpose. There are studies that have supported this, but they are few and subject to bias. Losing weight when you have diabetes is a good idea. Using liposuction to do it is questionable.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction alone will not do that

+1

Several studies showed that fat lost through liposuction does not change the metabolic parameters and lead to decrease blood sugar level or plasma lipids. Diet ,exercise is still the gold standard.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS