Will Invisalign Correct an Overbite?

Is Invisalign overbite correction possible? Can I use Invisalign to correct an overbite?

Overbite and overjet correction is possible with Invisalign

+4

Many people use the term "overbite" interchangeably to mean both the vertical discrepency of overbite and the horzontal discrepency of overjet. In orthodontics, it has the meaning of the former.

Both, overbites and overjets can be corrected with Invisalign, however, there are some limitations, especially with the severe varieties as shown above. 100% correction may not be possible. There is a lot of variation in the levels of severity and in the amount of correction possible. Even though acceptable results can be achieved with Invisalign in severe cases, some problems will respond better and achieve better results with traditional braces.

As long as the patient is presented with possible options and limitations of each, they should be able to decide the best course of treatment for their individual situation. Invisalign is a very fine treatment option that can be as effective as braces in many types of cases. Invisalign is one of many options and like most other treatment options, there are limitations.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Yes, Invisalign is great for correcting overbites

+2

I have corrected many deep bites with Invisalign and they typically are resolved with the following three methods.

1. Intruding lower teeth: In most of the deep overbite cases I have seen in adults, the condition is caused by the supraeruption of the lower teeth. This is easily corrected with Invisalign aligners by simply intruding the lower teeth back into their natural position, which results in the lower teeth being more visible.

2. Intruding upper teeth: Overbites are sometimes a result of the upper teeth covering the lower teeth too much, so aligners can be used to intrude the upper teeth to reveal the lowers. This is only recommended for cases where the uppers are very prominent because intruding upper teeth too much can result in an aged appearance.

3. Proclining teeth: Lower teeth can appear hidden if they are tipped inwards and crowded. Invisalign can push them forward and intrude them to correct the overbite look.

Peter Tomaselli, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Of course, just look at my before and afters...

+1
I have had great results with my correcting overbites with my patients.  I posted a picture in my profile of one of my more severe overbite cases that was corrected entirely with Invisalign.  I would caution you to make sure that you seek out a qualified cosmetic dentist or orthodontist before proceeding.  A good way to know if you have chosen a competent Invisalign dentist is by asking to see their before and after photos.  This is not a guarantee, but it is a pretty good indicator of what type of experience the dentist has with cases like yours.  If any dentist (orthodontist or general dentist) tells you that Invisalign won't work and you definitely need metal braces, be sure to seek a second opinion from a cosmetic dentist because we have a myriad of cosmetic adjustments that we can make to your teeth (such as veneers, bonding, etc.) that orthodontists and general dentists may simply not be able to offer.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist

Overbites and Invisalign

+1
Invisalign, properly executed, can treat many bite and esthetic situations.  Overbites included. And since overbites can be a result of several different dental conditions, the results can vary too.  Look for a premier or elite provider in your area.  These are doctors with proficiencies in many different types of Invisalign treatment and would have the most experience in altering overbites. 

Nancy Summer Lerch, DDS
New Haven Cosmetic Dentist

Treatment of Overbites with Invisalign

+1
Overbites can be treated and eliminated using Invisalign. In my practice, I have accomplished reducing and eliminating deep overbites with my patients who use Invisalign. It is very important that the prescription that is initially written to the Invisalign technician is very specific with regard to all of the orthodontic changes that are desired. You should feel comfortable to discuss all of the changes that you desire with your orthodontist prior to the beginning of your treatment so that your doctor is aware and
can relate those desires to the Invisalign technician.

Janet H. Stoess-Allen, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Depends

+1

Yes, Invisalign can move teeth in directions that resolve many overbite issues.  The greater question is, "What is your overbite problem and depth of the overbite?  What contributes to your malocclusion?"  If the "overbite problem" falls within the realm of Invisalign's capabilities .... then the answer could be "Yes" but if the correction is outside of Invisalign's capabilities, other treatment modalities should be considered.  Seeing an experienced orthodontist (in Invisalign and in fixed therapy) for a consultation will best answer your question.

Russell Sutliff, DDS
Sacramento Orthodontist

Overbite

+1

Some bit correction can be done with Invisalign. There are limitations to what teeth movements can be made. Severe overbites sometimes require additional treatment. Overbite refers to the amount of overlap that the top teeth have over the bottom teeth. This is not to be confused with overjet which is how far more forward (towards the lips) the upper teeth are compared to the lower teeth. Most people use overbite and overjet interchangeably. Consult your Invisalign dentist to see if your bite correction can be accomplished with aligners.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can correct overbite.

+1

In many cases Invisalign can correct an overbite. Some severe cases would require metal braces, or a combination of braces and invisalign.

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can coreect an overbite.

+1

The real question should be," to what degree can my overbite be corrected?"  This can be only be answered by seeing the severity of the problem. I would recommend having a consultation with an orthodontist after he has examined you.

R. Scott Smith, DMD
Springfield Orthodontist

Invisalign can move teeth in any type of bite problem

+1

Invisalign can move teeth to some degree in any situation.  The devil, as always, is in the details.  For example, if your overbite is a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, then Invisalign may be able to correct it completely.  If it is an 8 or 9, then Invisalign probably can't fully correct it.  The question becomes, how much overbite correction is possible, needed, or acceptable.  Many people can function well with an uncorrected overbite, but you really need to have a  discussion with your orthodontist to get the answers you seek.  Then you'll make the choice best for you.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist