Will I Have Visible Scars from a Lifestyle Lift?

Visible Scars from Lifestyle Lift

+10

If you read the reviews on this website as of 1/28/2010, 73% of the roughly 200 reviews on this procedure express dissatisfaction. That would be considered unacceptable in my practice, and in the hands of the majority of highly qualified surgeons who post on this website.

What makes a scar visible?

1)Too much wound tension: typically seen in a quick procedure where emphasis is placed on speed. Lifestyle Lift has priced their "product" to compete very well against Facelifts offered by Board Certified Facial Plastic surgeons or Plastic Surgeons. Since time is money, Lifestyle Lift as a company is depending on a relatively quick operative time, "about an hour". Any honest, Board Certified Facial Plastic surgeon or Plastic Surgeon surgeon will tell you that a proper Facelift will take several hours.

2) Incision Placement: the majority of Lifestyle Lift pictures posted on this website show a preauricular incision. This incision is placed in front of the tragus (shield of the ear canal) and not behind it (retrotragal: which conceals the incision much better). The problem with the preauricular incision is that it is easier to see and when combined with excessive wound tension, tends to widen and migrate forward. Why would anybody do this? It is easier to do, therefore quicker and more economical (for the company). Quick procedures typically rely on excessive skin tension, and as discussed, excessive skin tension causes poor scars.

Therefore my synopsis on Lifestyle Lift and scarring is: Why take a chance? See a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon who will spend the right amount of time on your procedure in order to get a result that both you and he/she will be happy with. Alternatively, you can roll the dice and get a procedure in "about an hour".

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after facelifting/Lifestyle-like Lifts

+2

With any surgical procedure, the invisibility of the incision depends on the surgeon and the genetics of the patient. The surgeon must design the incision so that it hides around your ears and hair but then take the time to carefully sew it back together so that there is no stretching on the stitches. Unfortunately when working for a private company which stresses revenue and quantity over results and quality, there is pressure to quickly sew incisions back together. This can lead to more obvious incisions. Fortunately the face heals extremely well and the incisions are very well camouflaged by the ear and hair. It is important to keep the area clean while it heals.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Visible scars after Lift

+2

When a Facelift is done properly and the skin edges are sutured back together with no tension, the probability of visible scaring should be minimal. This is true for traditional Facelift, Lifestyle Lift, short scar Facelift, mini Facelift.

The other important factor to consider is the placement of the incisions. In my practice I am very meticulous on where I place my incisions, this is the first step in getting great looking surgical scars. Then the second factor is to close them under no tension.

After 2 weeks the patient can start with scar preventive medications.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Many clients ask about using some type of "scar...

+2

Many clients ask about using some type of “scar treatment” cream after the procedure. The fact of the matter is that the incisions heal remarkably well in over 95% of our clients.

We do not recommend these “preventative” treatments for they may actually make the incisions appear more inflamed/red for a longer period of time.

John Westine, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

visible scars from lifestyle lift?

+1
 All facelifts including a lifestyle left involved making incisions in front and behind the ears.  The key to an inconspicuous incision is to placed no tension on the incision itself, and to remove the sutures very early so that there is no rail road tracking that can occur. When performing  a facelift,  the tension is placed on the fascia and muscle structures underneath the skin and  no tension is placed on the skin itself. For this reason a high majority of incisions heal quite well if there is no tension placed on the skin in our practice. For many examples, please see the link below to our facelift photo gallery

All facelifts leave scars

+1

Any incision will leave a scar. You add tension to it like a facelift and it increases the scar.A skilled plastic surgeon is careful and scars will be minimal. There is no such thing as no scars just imperceptable.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Does a Lifestyle Lift leave a scar?

+1

Any type of facelift will leave a scar. Fortunately, if the procedure is performed with meticulous placement of incisions and the incisions are closed under no tension the scars should be almost invisible when the healing is completed. Scars become a problem when the procedure is rushed, and the skin is closed under tension which can lead to thickening and widening of the scars. Other factors that increase the risk of scarring include smoking, and diabetes. I would make sure that you look at a lot of before and after pictures from a variety of surgeons to get an idea of how the incisions heal. Another helpful idea is for surgeons to show a series of healing progression photos to let you know what to expect during the healing process.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Very Minimally Visible Scars

+1

All facelift type procedures including extended facelifts, mini-lifts, a Lifestyle Lift will require a certain degree of incisions in and around the ear to achieve an appropriate rejuvenation. Expert Lifestyle Lift facelift surgeons will employ the incisions that maximize the result and minimize the incision length. The overall majority of individuals who have a mini-lift or facelift or Lifestyle Lift by an expert plastic surgeon will have minimal visibility of scars. However there are always instances where scars are a problem and require meticulous care to resolve. Some individuals do have keloid formation potential and do form keloids. It is difficult determine which individual may be a keloid former, however the good news is that keloid formation is not very common. Essentially, in the majority of individuals wounds should be very minimally visible.

David Q. Santos, MD

All facelifts leave scars.

+1

Any facelift will leave a scar.  Period.  How visible that scar is depends on multiple factors, including, but not limited to: your skin color, whether you ever use makeup, tension at closure, your exposure to the sun, your genetics of healing, etc.  Of these factors, your surgeons skill and experience with facial plastic surgery can make or break a good outcome.  I perform nearly 250 facelifts per year and I get scars that are amazing, and sometimes I have to go back and revise some scars.  Rome wasn't built in a day!  You didn't age overnight, so be realistic and know that your process to reverse the look of your facial aging may take more than just surgery.  I am an advocate for sun protection, good nutrition, medical skin care, and laser to maximize the outcome with a facelift.  It doesn't matter what type of facelift you get, as some surgeons here would lead you to believe.  Just work with an experienced surgeon and you will more than likely get what you want, within reason.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon