Breast Implants and Scoliosis

I have severe scoliosis. I am a mother to 1. My breast are smaller than what they were before the birth and breastfeeding my child. They are diffrent in shape, as well "lop sided" very uneven. Would going from a small A to full C be back for my back, or cause more issues?

Many patients have scoliosis

+2

Many breast augmentation patients have varying degrees of scoliosis and none seem to have a problem symptomatically from breast augmentation. Symmetry is challenging because the bony platform for the implants is often very askew so a scoliosis patient can't expect perfection - but improvement is possible.

Interestingly, you can put implants in patients that weigh more than the amount of tissue removed in some breast reductions and yet never hear the augmentation patient complain of symptoms like the reduction patient did. It probably has to do more with having something you want or don't want than the actual weight.

Breast implants should not cause back problems.

+1

Hi.

This should only be a problem if you get huge breast implants, which I strongly advise against. Correcting the breast asymmetry may be tricky. At least, you will need a different size for each breast.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Unlikely for breast implants to cause back issues, but possible

+1

I have placed breast implants for a few patients with scoliosis over the years and at moderate size they have not caused problems. It is theoretically possible though. You might want to see your back doctor beforehand for an official "OK."

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Different sized implants to correct asymmetry from scoliosis

+1

The asymmetry in your back is causing the asymmetry you see in your breasts. Due to these differences, you most likely will require different sized implants to even the breasts out. Small to moderate sized implants should not cause you any additional back problems. Extremely large implants, like extremely large breasts, can cause neck and shoulder discomfort.

Susan E. Downey, MD

You should be fine with a moderate-sized implant

+1

As long as you choose a small or a moderate size implant, you should be fine. The small difference in weight should not affect your spine. The key is to choose the right size implant.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Scoliosis & Breast Implant: Challenges

+1

Ac21: Many scoliosis patients have breast implants. I have not heard a concern from them, or indirectly from their back specialists, about problems caused by the implants.

The common problems however are trying to achieve symmetry. Patients have varying degrees of rib and thoracic wall changes caused by their scoliosis. The breasts themselves are often different in volume, contour and position. Augmentation does not alleviate all of those differences, and sometimes makes them more noticible. However, you can probably obtain a very nice breast augmentation, and not be completely the same.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

You and your surgeon should agree on an implant size that fits your body.

+1

As long as the implants that you and your surgeon choose are not excessively large, the added weight of breast implants should not worsen your scoliosis or increase back strain. It is important that you decide upon implants that fit your body well and whose additional weight can be supported by the breast tissues over the long term.

In general plastic surgeons prefer not to discuss breast size in terms of brassiere cup size, as cup sizes have a great deal of variation from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Photos would help a plastic surgeon surgeon be able to more definitively answer your question. From the asymmetry you are describing, a straightforward breast augmentation may not be the correct operation to achieve the result you are seeking.

Depending on the degree of breast ptosis (droopiness) and asymmetry, you may require a breast lift in addition to breast augmentation. These procedures can be performed simultaneously or staged, depending on the individual situation. Your plastic surgeon should know whether an augmentation alone will suffice or whether a lift should be performed as well.

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and back problems

+1

An average implant of say 300 cc's is about is about  .66 pounds.  Therefore, two implants would weight just over a pound. I doubt that would significantly contribute to back pain.