Will I Gain Weight After VASER Liposelection?

Weight gain after liposuction

+5

In the early postperative period after ANY surgery, it is not uncommon for patients to experience weight gain.

This is the body's natural response to injury or trauma which causes inflammation. The inflammation makes our blood vessels "leak" and the surrounding tissues soak up the leaky fluid like a sponge. After several days and usually by 7-10 days the vessels reabsorb the fluid and it is eliminated in the form of urine.

Swelling may persist in the treated areas for several weeks to months.

With Vaser, we intentionally "pump" the body up with fluid which makes removal of fat via liposuction more efficient. The body typically requires twice the volume of fluid to replace the fat that was removed. This administered fluid as well as the fluid subseqeuntly taken over the following 48-72 hours after surgery accounts for much of the weight gain.

The more fat that is removed, the more the weight gain. Eventually the body returns to normal and your baseline weight should reflect the fat that was removed if all other facotrs are stable.

Weight gain is disbursed globally

+3

Everyone is born with a certain number of fat cells, and after these fat cells are removed from a certain area, they will not come back to that area. If you do gain a small amount of weight (as in 5 lbs) you'll most likely see the weight gain disbursed globally. However, I always tell my patients that Liposuction is NOT an effective weight loss method. Liposuction should be viewed as a body contouring method. My patients who maintain a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise see the best results and are the most satisfied with the procedure.

Good luck, and thanks for your question!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after VASER Liposuction

+2

VASER liposuction is begun after filling the fat to be suctioned with a solution containing a local anesthetic and adrenaline (to reduce bleeding and pain). Although liposuction removes up to 11 pounds of fat and fluid it not only does not remove all the fluid that was placed in but causes enough inflammation which in turn causes MORE fluid retention. It is therefore common for patients to eagerly step on a scale after surgery and find out that their weight was only slightly reduced and sometimes even increased DESPITE their operation.

As the inflammation goes away, the body allows the mobilization of the swelling fluid and your extra weight will go down rapidly.

Dr. P. Aldea

Weight Gain After VASER Liposelection

+1

Although VASER LipoSelection® will permanently remove the fat cells from the target area, this doesn’t mean that you won’t gain weight after the procedure. Remaining fat cells can still expand, and you can certainly continue gaining weight in other areas of the body. It’s important to remember that no form of liposuction, including VASER, should be used as a substitute for weight loss. Instead, the best results are seen on patients who’ve already reached their target weight and practice an active and healthy lifestyle. Having these habits already in place will help limit the potential for future weight gain following your procedure.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Use VASER to initiate healthy eating and lifestyle habits

+1

If you are considering having VASER, get into the mindset about how you will keep healthy eating and lifestyle habits before you have the procedure. At my practice, before I will perform the procedure I require patients to be within 15 pounds of their goal weight and have maintained that weight for a period of time. If you are prone to fluctuating it is essential that you manage that fluctuation and develop new habits before and after the procedure because significant weight gain can "undo" the results over time. However, for the most part, I have found that my patients are so pleased with the way they look that they are motivated to maintain healthy eating and lifestyle habits in an effort to maintain their overall look. After the procedure you will get a feel for the kind of lifestyle changes you need to initiate to get the best results. Mostly it is simple eating and activity improvements to your daily life that keep you healthy anyway. Best of luck. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Vaser liposuction and weight gain

+1

Anyone can gain weight at any point in their lives.  Having liposuction is not a cure for weight gain.  Combine the procedure with proper diet and exercise. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Don't gain weight after liposuction

+1

After Vaser liposuction most people generally don't gain weight if they maintain a healthy lifestyle including watching a diet and sticking with a basic exercise program.  You only have a certain number of fat cells.  You don't grow more fat cells, the cells just get bigger when you put on weight.  If you have had VASER in an area, then you should have less fat cells in the liposuctioned area.  If you were to put on weight, you would distribute the fat in other areas more than the area of liposuction. 

Stanley Castor, MD

Not with healthy lifestyle choices

+1

Hi there-

The VASER is an outstanding tool for improvement in body contour, and indeed I believe it offers the best safety and effectiveness profile in the industry. There is no reason to believe that the procedure itself would lead to weight gain.

If you were to make unhealthy choices in your lifestyle after the procedure, you would gain weight, but this would occur (given these choices) whether you had VASER or not.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Yes and maybe....

+1

Right after liposuction (any form) people swell and retain water. This is associated with a short term weight gain. If your weight is under control overall then that swelling with go away within weeks to months.

Liposuction is not weight loss so if you do not have your diet and exercise discipline in place, it will not prevent weight gain. Lipo is not an alternative to diet and exercise.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Vaser liposuction

+1

Vaser uses ultrasonic energy to perform liposuction. It should not cause any weight gain.  Weight gain initially after any surgery is often due to lace of activity during the recuperation phase.