Will I Develop an Infection if I Get Implants After Brazilian Butt Lift?

I had a Brazilian Butt Lift about 3 years ago, but now I feel that by butt is going back to its previous size. I told my surgeon I wasn't satisfied and I'd like to undergo another surgery, like get implants. He said I can develop an infection if I get implants after the butt lift. Is this true? Should I go for butt implants?

Buttock Implants and Infection Risk

+3

The complication rate for buttock implants is , in my opinion, unacceptably high.  Furthermore, the more acceptable implant designs are not yet FDA approved for use in the United States.  The horror stories from buttock implant complications are real.  One of the biggest challenges is that once the implants require removal, then there is a space or pocket that is now empty in the buttocks and the buttock skin and tissue is now saggy and will never be the same again.  Fat transfer is a much better alternative.  While the survival rates of fat injection to the buttocks are unpredictable. With proper technique enough fat will survive to make a visual long term difference. The feel is natural and infection rates are low.  I to date have had not a single infection. 

Is the Risk of Infection with Butt implants higher if I've had a Brazilian Butt Lift?

+2

Hi there-

Buttock implant surgery does have a higher infection rate than other plastic surgery procedures, because the implants are foreign bodies, and because the surgery is occurring in an area of the body where more bacteria are present.

This risk, however, should not be any higher because you've undergone a Brazilian Butt Lift in the past. As long as good technique is used, the procedure should have an acceptable risk for you (assuming you are otherwise healthy).

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

The butt lift makes no difference in infection rate

+2

Whether or not you have had a previous buttocks procedure should not make a difference in your infection rate for future procedures. Unless, of course, you have an ongoing infection for some reason.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York

David Shafer, MD

Buttock Implants and Infection Risk

+1

While the infection rate is quite high for the butt implant procedure, this rate should not go up after the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure unless there is an existing infection. The Brazilian Butt Lift is the preferred option for butt augmentation for most surgeons due to increased effectiveness and safety. You may want to consider undergoing another Brazilian Butt Lift with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Gluteal implants and Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Gluteal Implants can be placed simultaneous to a Brazilian butt lift or as a staged procedure. Butt implants in general have a higher rate of infection in general but if done by a well qualified and board certified plastic surgeon chances are more than likely you will do well. The recovery from gluteal implants is much longer and more restrictive than the Brazilian butt lift. Make sure you have a complete informed consent. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Buttock implants infection risk

+1

Hello. The infection risk is pretty high with implants. I would recommend you visit with your surgeon and see if you are candidate for another brazilian butt lift. If you are not satisfied with his opinion seek another  board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in butt augmentation. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Brazilian butt lift results

+1

A Brazilian butt lift should last forever and the size of your butt should not significantly decrease in size within the first three weeks.  This might be a secondary effect due to a poorly executed procedure and/or that you did not have enough fat to accomplish your desired goals.

A butt implant is an underrated option that has a specific role in butt augmentation. There is certainly a higher degree of infection and implant exposure depending on the technique used to insert the implant. In addition, a butt implant does not address all the factors of creating a youthful appearance. It only increases the projection of the butt and does not create a curvy figure like the Brazilian butt lift.

Wilberto Cortes, MD

Butt implants

+1

I am not an advocate of butt implants with or without a previous Brazilian butt lift.  I'n not sure if you are more susceptible to an infection or not but I have not been impressed with the long term results of implants.  Another fat transfer would be a better alternative in my opinion.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD