Will Breast Lift Have Any Effect on Pregnancy?

I'm 23 years old with no children, but my breasts sag as if I had already given birth. Is it okay for me to have a breast lift even though I am planning to have children in the future? Will it have any effect on pregnancy?

Breast Lift and Pregnancy

+2

It is unlikely that breast lift will have a negative effect on pregnancy and nursing.

Of course, pregnancy can cause changes in breast shape and volume.  Many women experience deflation and drooping after pregnancy and nursing.

If you are planning pregnancy in the near future, it is probably best to wait until you are done with your pregnancies.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift can interfere with your ability to breast feed

+2

Dear Danied,

A breast lift can create a beautiful breast. However I recommend having your babies first and then consider a breast lift.

The breast lift surgery, called mastopexy is primarily a skin operation and should not injure the breast gland under normal circumstances. However, there is always the possibility that some of the milk ducts in the areola can be injured and this might interfere with your ability to breast feed after pregnancy.

I also encourage people to wait until after having babies because the pregnancy can cause the breast to sag again and you would need to re-do the surgery. The breast enlarges during pregnancy and will stretch the breast skin. After pregnancy the breast gland involutes or atrophies, and the stretched skin can allow the smaller breast gland to sag.

If you really dislike your breasts and they are affecting your self confidence and you are certain that you will not want to breast feed your baby, and you are not planning to have a baby in the next few years, I would consider doing a breast lift on you. Having pretty breasts is a very important thing for a young woman, and the negatives I discussed above are relative. If you understand the potential drawbacks and relly want the surgery then I would consider it.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Lift Surgery Should have No Effect on Pregnancy

+1

Sagging breast are most often the result of stretched skin and ligaments that give the breast a droopy or deflated look. Pregnancy, the effects of age and gravity, and rapid weight loss can cause the breast to sag or droop. For patients who plan to start a family, I generally recommend waiting to have cosmetic surgery due to the drastic changes the body undergoes during the pregnancy process. The breast lift (mastopexy) procedure should have no effect on your pregnancy or ability to nurse as it deals mainly with the removal of excess skin. However, if you have a breast lift before pregnancy, the likelihood that your breasts will begin to sag again is fairly high. I suggest scheduling a consultation with a trusted and well-researched plastic surgeon to discuss your cosmetic concerns and formulate a potential surgery plan for when you’re done building a family.

David Whiteman, MD

Effects of Breast Lift on Pregnancy

+1

Depending on the technique of the lift you may have some problems with breast feeding.

• However, Breast Lift surgery will not have any effect on future pregnancies.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Do your homework

+1

While a breast lift usually does not have an adverse effect on breast feeding, your breast may change curing the process. If you are unhappy with your current look then meet with a certified plastic surgeon and discuss your options. Look at pictures and do research about women who have had a breast lift before having children.

Amy K. Alderman, MD, MPH
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift surgery and pregnancy or lactation

+1

There are different types of breast lifts performed.  Some may have a higher chance of interrupting breast lactation.  However, breast lifts will not interfere with pregnancy. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast lift before pregnancy

+1

Hormonal changes which occur with pregnancy will have an effect on breast tissue, and may change the size and shape of your breasts. The result of a breast lift performed before pregnancy may be altered by subsequent pregnancies. In addition, there is a small risk of loss of nipple sensation and inability to breastfeed after breast lift surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Pregnancy may undo some of the aesthetic benefits of a breast lift.

+1

Pregnancy is accompanied by physiologic changes in the breast.  This can lead to volume and shape changes when the pregnancy is over.  If you have a mastopexy (breast lift) now, a future pregnancy might undo some or all of the benefits.  This is not necessarily the case but should be a consideration for you if children are in your future.

Pregnancy after breast lift

+1

It is possible to become pregnant and breast feed after a breast lift. However, depending on the technique that is used for the breast with surgery your ability to breast-feed may be limited or completely impaired. Discuss your concerns with a board-certified plastic surgeon with great deal of experience in breast lift surgery. They may be able to modify the surgery so as to leave as much of the central portion of the breast intact as possible to hopefully create a breast mound that is relatively undisturbed and I will let you breast feed.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast lift surgery will not affect a pregnancy but the reverse may be true

+1

Breast Lift Surgery minus any attempt to reduce breast size will not affect nursing nor have any other negative effect on the pregnancy. A pure breast lift will not disturb the normal anatomy that connects the nipple to the milk forming glandular tissue and doesn't injure the nursing mechanism. However, the reverse may very well occur with the pregnancy altering the benefits of the Breast Lift. Changes that result from the pregnancy, such as renewed sagging and loss of breast volume may lead you to require a second Breast Lift Surgery. Therefore, if you invision a possible pregnancy in the future you might consider postponing this lift until after your done having children.

David A. Ross, MD