Can the Width of the Nasal Bones Change After Osteotomy/rhinoplasty?

I just removed the cast from a revision rhinoplasty I had last week. I got it because my nasal bones were very wide since they had only been rasped and not fractured. So far, I love the results! I want to ask you if it is possible for the bones going back to their original position afterwards. I'm afraid of this happening because I love the way my nose looks now. I also want to ask you if I can remove the dry blood I have inside my nosetrills (I still have the stitches inside).

Shifting of nasal bones

+1

If the fractures were incomplete (green stick) then the bones could shift out again - pressure to push bones back in can help in those instances if suggested by your surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Most rhinoplasty surgery involves removing the hump, then fracturing the nasal bones to narrow the bridge  and the nasal bones width.It takes about 3 weeks for the bones to heal. Meanwhile they can move and any trauma can shift them

Teh nose has "memory" from its preop form

+1

Yes, it can move, but that is unlikely.  One of the reasons for the splint post op is to maintain reasonable pressure on the bony structure, as well as compress the soft tissue to limit swelling.  Once the nasal splint is off, the structures stabilize fairly quickly, and then gain strength out for months. 

In general, there is what we call "memory" to nasal structures that exert some influence during healing.  For example, a crooked nose tends to want to stay crooked, a nasal tip might initially appear wider than its surgically narrowed form.  In your case, the nose may want to drift back somewhat wider than was the intraop position.  The skin, muscle, and periosteum connected to your nasal bridge will support the bone, but also tend to pull it wide again.  That is increasingly true with revision cases.  So yes, there is a dynamic at play that might widen your final result.  In most cases, this is very slight, and has little to no influence on the final appearance of your nose.However discuss your concern with your physician, and he or she might make suggestions to improve the healing process. 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon