Wider Nose After Rhinoplasty

11 days ago, I had rhinoplasty to remove a bump on my nose. My surgeon also made the tip slightly narrower and assured me that I will look the same from the front. I am concerned because I look very different from the front, my nose now looks a lot wider, and the tip is slightly upturned and showing more of my nostrils. Will my nose still become narrower after Rhinoplasty in the following months and more similar to how it used to from the front?

Narrower nose once swelling settles

+1

Since it has only been 11 days since your rhinoplasty, your nose is still quite swollen. The nose will become much narrower over time in the next year or so. If osteotomies were done, the end result will be a narrower nose, not a wider nose once the swelling has subsided. The nose may appear upturned for the first few weeks after the surgery until it finally settles down.

Its quite early in the healing process

+1

Its pretty tough to make a conclusion about the results of rhinoplasty in the first couple of months, much less the first two weeks.

Sometimes, if a bump on top of the nose is reduced in the procedure (to make the profile look better), a possible secondary effect is to make the nose look wider from the front. We try to compensate for this in many cases by narrowing the nose some.

After a week or two, though,there is certainly swelling present. It doesnt take much swelling to make the result less than optimal. Fortunately, the swelling will ultimately go down. We believe in most patients it takes close to a year for all of the swelling to go down.

I suggest you try not to worry. See your surgeon in the next few weeks so he or she can take a look.

Patrick Byrne, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes it absolutely will get smaller

+1

It takes 6-12 months for the swelling to go down. Therefore, try to be patient during this time knowing that it will go down eventually.