Wider Nose After Rhinoplasty?

Hello! Can the bridge of my nose still get wider AFTER a rhinoplasty operation? Is it possible that the bones wander outwards and leave the nose wider than intended? 3 weeks post-op my nose seems much wider and feels flatter. As it feels like bone not swelling I really wonder how "stable" my nose really is?

Wide Nose

+1

Your nasal soft tissue swelling is declining at this time and your underlying cartilaginous and bony nasal skeleton is beginning to reveal itself.  Please see your surgeon this week for reassurance and evaluation.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose wider after rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, it is possible that the bones do not stay in, but more likely it is swelling. When the dorsum is rasped or shaved down, it flattens. The osteotomies of the bones and manipulation narrow the width.  Give it more time, it is most likley swelling.

Nose is Wider After Rhinoplasty

+1

Without photos, it is impossible to tell you specifics. However, at 3 weeks from your surgery you are far too early to judge your results. The nose can appear wider from swelling alone, and there is significant swelling at 3 weeks. Be patient and stay in touch with your surgeon as you continue to recover. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Wider Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Its possible that the swelling pushed out the nasal bones and therefore made  your nose wider. However, 3 weeks post - op is too early to tell. Give yourself at least 3 more months.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Wider Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Naser,

Without before/after photos and physical examination it is hard to provide a solid opinion about your situation.

Nonetheless, at three weeks post-op it is normal and anticipated that your nose be swollen; every patient develop a certain level of swelling differently.

With that perspective, I believe that it is of your best interest to contact your surgeon and to explain to him/he what is going on; your surgeon knows the full details of your procedure and should have the upper hand identifying the cause of your nasal irregularities.

However, it is worth mentioning that at 3 months post-op it is too early to assess the end results of your rhinoplasty that won't normally be established until the 12 months post-op mark is reached.

I hope this helps. The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

I would suggest seeing your surgeon and discussing your concerns with your surgeon. No one knows better then him what was done during your procedure. You can also review your preoperative photographs and discuss your concerns. Three weeks post surgery you still have a lot of swelling so be patient as well. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD