Is It Possible to Fix Wide, Pig-like Nose?

Most of the Rhinoplasty before and after photos involve people with a bump on their nose bridge or with noses that are too tall.

I'm Asian and my nose bridge is low and short and my actualy nose is wide and round. Most people's nostrils can be seen from the side, but mine can't. They show up in front, making it look pig-like. I haven't seen any before and after photos of people' with noses like mine, so I don't know if it can be fixed.

How to fix a wide and flat nose

+5

The nose you describe is typical of many asian patients. However, many different patients of varied ethnicities have issues like the ones you describe. African american, Latin American, Filipino, and many other ethnicities can have this type of architecture.

A 'narrow' nose is one which has deep shadows along the sides of the nose and a nice highlight in the center. In order to provide this, the nose has to have a certain height. If the nose is too flat, then it gets washed out and does not have the contrast to appear narrow.

Typically, cartilage grafts and, occasionally, silicone grafts, are used to establish this height. Which one you would need depends on your individual anatomy and personal goals. This is true for both the tip and the dorsum (upper 2/3 of the nose).

Hope it helps you feel more confident that you can achieve the look you are seeking.

Best of luck.

A representative before and after has been posted to my profile. Feel free to look at it. Hope it is helpful.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for wide nose

+4

Hi Changenose,

What you are describing is not uncommon. The "bridge" of your nose needs augmentation, rather than reduction as in most rhinoplasties. The tip also needs more projection. All these things can be accomplished with harvesting cartilages from yourself (nose, ear), as is done in many Asian noses.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in Asian with Wide Nose, Porcine Like Nostrils

+2

Hi Change,

It is possible to improve the appearance of your wide nose and unattractive(ly described at least) nostrils. An experienced and skilled rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to diagnose your deformity after examining your nose, and then explain to you what you can expect from corrective rhinoplasty. Do choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

Your nose probably falls in the Ethnic rhinoplasty category. Most before and after are of Caucasions but ethnic rhinoplasty is a growing subspecialty. You may find similar features in some of my African American patients.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

Asian rhinoplasty

+2

Yes, your nose can be fixed. The degree of change which would be possible depends on your anatomy and your goals. Asian noses often have low dorsums (where a bump is usually found on many people), which may require a graft. In addition, the tip is usually broad, and this can be refined by suturing cartilage together. In Los Angeles, you should be able to find a plastic surgeon or ENT who has experience with Asian noses, and who could show you photographs during the consultation. Be sure to ask specifically about Asian rhinoplasty when you begin calling surgeons. Good luck, /nsn.

Asian noses require grafts

+2

In order to improve your nose appearance you will need a graft to augment your nasal bridge. The tip cartilages will require some adjustment and manipulation to provide the proper support and orientation. A strut graft may be needed in the columella.

Make sure to explain to your surgeon the type of changes you want and make sure he or she understands what you have said. Good communication is essential in planning a successful rhinoplasty result.

Best Wishes.

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Almost anything can be fixed

+2

See a competent plastic surgeon with nasal experience. We do narrow nasal tips. You are correct, many Asians have small bridges and wide tips. Things can be done for them.

Wide, Round Nose with Low Bridge

+1

Working in Los Angeles, we see many noses with the physical characteristics you describe. Using the patient's own tissue we can augment the nose to increase projection and definition. Share your goals with an experienced nasal surgeon. 

Rhinoplasty to address wide pig-like nose

+1

It is impossible to give a consultation regarding your Asian rhinoplasty without seeing your pictures. If your nostrils are showing from the front, the nose tip can be brought down to prevent the pig-like appearance. A low bridge on the Asian nose can be augmented with a silicone silastic implant. The width and roundness will decrease as the height of the bridge is increased.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com