Can Wide Nostrils Be Fixed?

In 2006 I had upper jaw surgery to fix an underbite. My upper jaws was moved forward and resulted in my nose looking wider. If I get rhinoplasty surgery, will my nose look almost the same as before?

Nostrils too wide which requires ethnic rhinoplasty

+3

Your aesthetic imbalance from your wide nasal base and nostrils is common in ethnic patients. Through a properly performed nostril narrowing and ethno-sensitive approach you will look natural and not fake. Last thing you want as a male who has gone through difficult recovery from orthognathic surgery is to jump too soon into a rhinoplasty without consulting with ethnic rhinoplasty experts. Nostril narrowing is a very delicate subject that has no room for error. Mistakes could be irreversible if made.  In addition, your surgeon should also consult with your jaw surgeon to perhaps view your X-rays etc. before proceeding with your nasal shaping.

Do your research and take your time choosing your surgeon.  In my opinion, your requirements are not very complicated particularly that your are male and a lot of tip shaping is not indicated along with any nostril narrowing you need.  I have done nostril narrowing by itself and this is usally in males like yourself. This is very rewarding for the patients.

Fixing wide nose

+1

It may be difficult to make your nose look the same as before. However, if you are unhappy with the wide appearance, this can be addressed. An alar base excision will address this; this involves removal of a portion of the ala, which can control flaring. I would recommend seeing an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a consultation, since there may be other options for you to consider.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing wide nostrils

+1

Yes, the nostrils can be narrowed.  The incisions would be hidden along the nostril floor.  They usally heal very well and are almost imperceptible

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Rhinoplaty - wide nostrils

+1

Yes, wide nostrils can be narrowed.  A small wedge of nostril is removed and sometimes the base reset narrower.  The best way for you to find an answer to your question is to meet in consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon. He/she will be able to discuss with you the specific things about your nose you dislike and help you set realistic expectations about what can be achieved with rhinoplasty surgery. Sometimes patients have trouble expressing what bothers them or what they would like to look like, so I also recommend bringing pictures of noses you like and dislike and noting what you like or dislike about them. This will help you and your surgeon come to a better understanding of what you hope to achieve.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Wide nostrils can be narrowed

+1

Wide nostrils can be narrowed with an alar plasty technique whereby a small bridge of skin is removed from the nasal floor right at the base of the nostrils. Usually approximately 3-5 mm of skin can be removed depending upon the patient’s needs, the area is then sutured and the alar sidewalls are narrowed to decrease the size of the nostrils. The alar sidewalls are then sutured into place with dissolvable stitches.

Surgery to fix wide nose is possible now

+1

You can indeed have a widened nose narrowed by rhinoplasty. Computer imaging and old photos will be helpful in consultation with your facial plastic surgeon. The entire nose or just the base can be addressed depending on your needs.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Wide Nostrils

+1

After you have clearance from your orthodontist and maxillofacial/oral surgeon your entire nose or nasal base can be narrowed. The procedure will be individualized to meet your particular needs.

Wide Nasal Base

+1

The short answer to your question is yes.  There are various methods to due to so.  It appears you are still in orthodontic treatment, I would recommend that your treatment is complete because the incisor (2 front teeth) can influence your nasal base.  Secondly your nasal base width should have been and may have been managed at the time of your LeFot I advancement with an alar spanning suture. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Thinning nose

+1

Regardless of what was done with your jaw, a good rhinoplasty, by a qualified and experienced surgeon should be able to thin the appearence of your nose. Bring him pictures of your old nose and hopefully he can give you an honest assessment of the likelihood of reproducing it.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to reduce wide nostrils after jaw surgery

+1

Hi SaskatoonGuy in Saskatoon, SK,

Yes, rhinoplasty can reduce the width or alter the shape of your nostrils. Incisions are placed around the base of the nose and a small amount of skin is removed, with stitches removed about a week later.

However, you may never have exactly the same nose as compared to prior to jaw surgery. Bring pre-jaw surgery photographs to your rhinoplasty surgeon for comparison during the consultation. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon