Wide Nose After Rhinoplasty & Slight Bump on Bridge Where the Dorsal Hump Used to Be.

Cast removed yesterday and I was shoked to see how wide my nose has become. My doctor said I'm very swollen but I'm scared that my nose will look much wider now. My nose was very narrow before so this is a huge change. I hate how it looks when I smile. Also there is still a slight bump where the big bump used to be. I was expecting to see a perfectly straight bridge so this was another disapointment. It doesn't feel hard to the touch so could it just be swelling? I'm starting to regret this!

Wide Nose One Week after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossible for you or any of us to judge your result 1 week after your rhinoplasty. Your response is not unusual. After the swelling resolves you may be pleasantly surprised. Be patient.

Scared after rhinoplasty

+1

Sometimes the first look at the nose can be deceiving and swelling can change things greatly. Still it can be hard to plan for the first look after rhinoplasty when the splint comes off. Most are anxious and for some the uncertainty can scare them. If you chose your surgeon carefully, and planned your new look with care things will work out over time.

Give your nose time to heal before assessing the results of rhinoplasty

+1

At 1 week, immediately after removal of your nasal splint, it is too early to assess the changes resulting from rhinoplasty. It is highly likely that much of the width your seeing in your nasal bridge has resulted from swelling of the nasal tissue. The skin has varying thickness along the nasal bridge with the skin being thinnest where the nasal bones and cartilage meet along the bridge. Often, early in the healing period, this thin skin can be swollen giving the appearance of a residual small bump in that area. Massage, steroid injections and time can all lead to improvement in this area and an eventual straight profile. At this point, patience is critical. Keep your appointments with your plastic surgeon and let them know of your concerns. It is very important to communicate openly at this point and your surgeon should be able to reassure you about the healing process and deal with your concerns if necessary using the above treatment options.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

1 week post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon.  It is also extremely common for the upper lip and smile to be affected in the first few weeks/months after rhinoplasty due to stiffness and swelling in the base of the nose

Sam Naficy, MD