If I have surgery for my deviated septum, will the doctor also fix the wide bridge of my nose?

If I have surgery for my deviated septum, will the doctor also fix the wide bridge of my nose? Both were caused by a fall when I was younger.

The Breathing Cosmetic Compramise

+1
Its always difficult to predict with 100% certainty how much your breathing will change once you narrow any part of your nose. In fact, its often difficult to predict how much your breathing will improve with a septoplasty! But typically those trained in both cosmetic nasal surgery and ENT - Head and Neck surgery have considerable experience dealing with both issues. Here in Ottawa, Canada its something we see commonly. Most times the surgery is highly successfully, both cosmetically and breathing wise. 

When you breath, airflow is actually along the floor of your nose so theoretically reducing the size of your "wide bridge" shouldn't affect this as this is the upper part of your nose. Unfortunately its a bit more complicated than this. Often times when you narrow the upper part of the nose you also need to tighten the "valve" of your nose. What this does is, prevents the part of your nose above your nostril from collapsing when you breath in. I know, this is alot of info, but hopefully it helps. 

So, getting to the point this is very possible in the right hands. However, you really have to understand the potential limitations and potential risks of this. You may have a nicer nose, however you may not have an improvement in breathing. Its impossible to predict the outcome with certainty but as mentioned, if you contact the right person, then can at least give you an honest opinion and assessment. 

Dr Bonaparte

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Functional and cosmetic nasal surgery

+1
Septoplasty and rhinoplasty are frequently performed together.  You should consult with a surgeon experienced in both procedures.  During the consultation your surgeon will discuss which parts of the procedure affect nasal function and which are cosmetic.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

DNS + wide nasal bridge

+1
These 2 procedures are often performed together. Sarah in your area find a surgeon who does both often.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Maybe

+1
That is a question you need to ask your doctor.  Usually that is a separate procedure and if there is an indication or decision pre operatively to do so then the surgeon will do it.

Andre Aboolian, MD

+1
The bridge can be narrowed at the time of the deviated septum repair.  

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Straightening My Septum and Narrowing Nasal Bridge

+1
Your septum (the cartilage and bone between your 2 nostrils) can be straightened at the same time your bridge is narrowed. It is best to do both at the same time. Insurance frequently will cover the septal part of the operation.

rhinoplasty and septoplasty are 2 different operations

+1
A septoplasty is performed for twisted bone and cartilage in the back of the nose which is blocking air flow.  A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity and billed to the patient's insurance once medical necessity has been determined. Performing a septoplasty will have no bearing on the shape of the external portion of the nose.
A rhinoplasty  is considered cosmetic and will change the shape of the nose.  Medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones bone narrow the wide bridge of the nose.

Deviated septum

+1
It is always important when planning surgery for your nose to address the function (breathing) issues and the appearance.  Insurance may provide benefits for breathing problems but not for appearance.  If the bridge is flatten because of old trauma, fixing the breathing may involve the bridge.  An exam in the office will answer these questions.  You are best to check your in and out of network benefits.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Septum surgery and wide bridge

+1
A procedure for nasal obstruction due to a deviated septum does not typically include doing anything cosmetic.  However, most facial plastic surgeons will perform the two together, meaning a septoplasty with rhinoplasty.  One part may be covered by insurance while the cosmetic aspect will not be covered.  I often perform cosmetic rhinoplasty procedures and include repair of the deviated septum if indicated and include it in the one fee.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose surgery

+1
SarahMF756,the real answer will depend on who you see and what their policy is about this issue. I do not accept insurance and in my office it would be an easy answer; I would fix whatever you needed (and wanted) for a specified price. Should you want no out of pocket expense then you are better off seeing an ENT MD and working through their office. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon