Wide and Horizontal Nostrils

Hi, My nostrils are asymetrical and too wide. I feel like I have a bull's nose. I have noticesd that when I pinch my nose columella, my nose looks much better and I look prettier and more feminine. Could you advice what kind of procedure could hep me achieve a similar result than when I pinch my nose? Also, when I contract my dilator muscles, my nostrils widen out far too much, pinching my nose between the nostrils reduces such flaring.

Narrowing Procedure For Correction Of Wide Nostrils

+2

You would benefit by a simple soft tissue procedure that is often part of many rhinoplasty operations. Known as nostril narrowing, a small piece of the side of the nostrils is removed and they are moved inward. This leaves a very fine scar around the base of the nostril or ala to be more specific. While nostril narrowing is not done by pinching the columella as you have done, you are simulating the type of result that can be obtained from the procedure. When done alone, nostril narrowing can be done under local anethesia as an office procedure.

Nostrils that are too wide & horizontal are best treated by alarplasty

+1

Wide nostrils are best treated with an alarplasty procedure whereby a small amount of skin is taken from the alar base, usually 3-4 mm in width.  Alar notching in the midportion of the ala is best treated with composite skin and cartilage grafts taken from the ear to reduce alar flare.  

Weir incision can narrow nostrils

+1

The nostrils can be narrowed using internal weir incisions on the inside of the nose between the columella and the inside edge of the nostril.  This can be alone or part of a Rhinoplasty depending on what you want done to the nose.

Wide & flaring nostrils

+1

there a number of techniques used during rhinoplasty that can, in combination, help you achieve a more desired shape to the nostrils

Sam Naficy, MD

Wide and Horizontal Nostrils

+1

The nostril flare you describe can be corrected with several techniques to narrow the base of your nose - with the pictures you submitted I cannot be more specific. This is frequently done as part of a complete rhinoplasty or as an isloated procedure.

Best Treatment for Wide Nostrils

+1

Hi Sophie,

Don't worry about your nostrils, no one will notice them as long as you keep using that black Sharpie on your eyes!  Kidding aside, consult with a few rhinoplasty surgeons and share your findings.  There are surgical maneuvers that can address your concerns and help you achieve your goals. Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Wide nostrils

+1

wide nostrils are a common complaint .A number of things can be done to help you but a more thorough exam would be needed to make the best recommendation.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the wide nose.

+1

The nostrils can be narrowed with or without the rest of the nose having anything done to it. If the nostrils are wide Weir incisions can be done to narrow this.

Treatment for Wide Nostrils

+1

While you would need an in-person physical examination and evaluation for surgery, you may likely benefit from rhinoplasty and alar base resection to narrow the nostrils.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Wide nostrils

+1

Wide nostrils can be corrected with rhinoplasty.  But it is difficult to offer suggestions based upon the few photos you submitted.  A full exam would be critical.