Can Invisalign Help with a Very Wide Gap?

I have a very wide gap in my teeth. Would Invisalign fix the problem? Most doctors say it would be 2 years in the process for the gap to fully close. One Doctor said If I get invisalign, I may also put fillers in the gap.

Invisalign: A Great Option for Closing Large Gaps

+1

Invisalign is an excellent option for closing large gaps.  And it works very quickly.  Depending on the health/appearance of your teeth, this may be all you need to get the smile you have always wanted.  I also encourage my patients to whiten with their Invialign trays -- so your teeth get whiter while those gaps are closing.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

There may be more to this

+1

Inivisalign can be very effective at closing the gap under a couple of conditions.  I am assuming it is in the top front teeth, since this is most common.  First you will likely need to have attachments placed on at least a couple of teeth.  These are small pieces of tooth colored composite bonded to the teeth in order to help them move properly.  In your situation, they help keep the roots moving along with the crowns of the teeth so the teeth don't just tip over.  Second, in order to have it close completely without leaving space somewhere else, you will need to have a bit of an overbite so the teeth can move inwards. 

If the top and bottom teeth are already touching together tightly in the front, the teeth you are moving can only move sideways, and it will leave spaces on the other side of them. In this case, you will either need bottom braces (or Invisalign) to get those teeth out of the way, or veneers or bonding will be needed to fill THOSE other upper spaces.  If invisiblity is your main concern, another option is Incognito braces which are attached to the back of the teeth and can address your concerns as well - with more control and no attachments on the front of your teeth.  A consultation with a qualified doctor will help you know what is best for you.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Yes, gaps can be fixed

+1

The gap can be closed with invisalign and it wont take two years to do it..you could do a combo treatment and use Invisalign for phase one and close most of the gap then you could get two veneers to finish the job. We do it all the time when spacing is a concern.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist