Options For a Wide Forehead Reduction?

I've read that it is possible with hair transplants, but is there any other way? I've heard there's a way to lower your foreheads length by making an incision in the fine hairs, and putting the forehead skin over it and it'll grow through the scar, or something. Is this procedure possible when attempting to reduce a foreheads width?

Wide forehead reduction or high hairline?

+2

If want you mean by a wide forehead is a high hairline and if your high hairline is due to male pattern baldness than the best treatment would be a hair transplant. Surgery performed to reduce the amount of visible forehead skin would possibly leave a well camouflaged scar at the front of your hairline now but as the hair loss continues it would become quite visible. A forehead lift can be done this way but typically its to address brow height and wrinkles not the position of the hairline.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Forehead reduction

+1

Foreheads can be reduced in size by lowering the hairline with hairgrafting or by performing a traditional, open subcutaneous browlift.  A well done brow lift will reduce the forehead width by removing the some of the skin between the brow and the hairline.  The fine scar against your hairline can be created in such a way that your natural hair will actually grow through the scar and camouflage it very well. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Lowering your forehead hairline

+1

I think you are describing the final closure technique of an incision made immediately behind the hair line then pulling up and removing the non hair bearing skin which in essence makes the hairline less high. In other words the distance from the brows would be less. The initial incision is made at a slant or oblique angle to preserve underlying hairs that often grow through the scar to camouflage it.The success of this technique depends on the amount of loose/redundant skin you have on your forehead that can be removed.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Wide Forehead Reduction

+1

The height of the forehead can be reduced by burying an incision in the fine hairs at the hairline after lowering the frontal hairline, a technique that we developed many years ago. However, this does not work along the temporal hairline to decrease the forehead width because of the direction of hair growth at the sides of the forehead. Hair transplants can be placed but do not look natural. Unfortunately there is no way to effectively reduce the forehead width.

Reduce a wide forehead? Maybe not.

+1

The trichophytic incision, the one that allows hairs to grow though and sometimes even in front of the resultant scar, will not work at the leading edge of the acutely downward growing temple hairs. I base this opinion on experiences with some of my cases from many years go and seeing this noticeable scar on the work of other surgeons. 

Also males should consider any of this hairline and temple work with great caution if there is any balding pattern going on or is a family trait. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shotening the forehead

+1

As you mentioned there are two ways to shorten the forehead

1: hair transplant

2: Forehead lift through an incision infront the hairline, the incision is beveled so that one preserve some hair follicles that will grow within the scar to lessen the appearance of the sacr infront the hailine. You will still see the incision without bangs. This an also be comoufaged by hair transolant a year later by hair transplant.

In very rare cases, where significant decrease i the hairline is needed or in people who had previous forehead lift resulting in a wide forehead, one may need  tissue expansion of the scalp and advancing the hair bearing scalp. this will need fixation with absorbable screws or Coapt devise.