Is it likely that the skin above the vertical aspect of my TT scar will flatten? (Photo)

I am 5 weeks post op from a full TT. I am pleased with my results except for the saggy mound of skin above the vertical part of my TT scar. My surgeon seemed a bit unsure if the skin would flatten at my post op appt last week. He said he would just extend the vertical scar up a bit to cut that skin out. The skin in question is the skin that was the most saggy and stretched above my BB prior to surgery. If it's not going to flatten, I would rather just extend the scar now, rather than wait.

Vertical Skin Excess Above Tummy Tuck Scar

+1
While the final healing of the tummy tuck is not complete, it is unlikely that the skin excess area will go away as you heal further. Ultimately its removal will require a small vertical scar to do so. But I would wait a full three months after the initial tummy tuck to do so.

Lower abdominal bulge is a vertical dog ear after inverted-T abdominoplasty incision.

+1
At 5 weeks post-op you still have swelling in all of your surgical incisions, especially where the dog ear was created by your former umbilical opening. It seems as if your surgeon chose to give you a slightly lower main abdominoplasty scar with this inverted-T scar (and resultant dog ear) rather than a higher scar, or longer inverted-T scar. Every choice involves a trade-off.

I would suggest waiting before dog ear excision, as the final total length (extension upwards toward the umbilicus) will be diminished. Proceeding with this revision now is just as easy as later, but will likely yield a longer scar, or yet another trip to the operating room for a "minor" revision again.

And that vertical scar is the one most hated by tummy tuck patients, since this operation is done to allow showing the abdomen in a two-piece bathing suit or crop top and low-cut jeans. Bulge or scar--to my eyes, both are less than ideal.

One other option would be to consider waiting till the scar softens and matures completely (6-12-months), after which any residual bulge may possibly corrected via localized liposuction and a tiny incision at the top, extending the incision only by a small(er) amount.

Don't be in too much of a rush. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Is it likely that the skin above the vertical aspect of my TT scar will flatten?

+1
NO! This is a vertical dog ear deformity. It needs further excision of the superior portion under local anesthesia... 

Scar revision

+1
I agree w dr Hopkins completely. Nice result but too soon, in a few weeks it will be obvious whether or not you require a scar revision. 

Joel Aronowitz, MD

Skin bulge may flatten

+1
Five weeks is too early to worry about the flatness or the scar.  When the skin edges from the old belly button site are brought together, it can bunch up at the top or bottom, creating the issue that you currently see.  If it was addressed during surgery, then what you are seeing is swelling and likely will flatten out over time.  If it does not flatten out, the a minor revision can be done after you are healed, usually around six months after the initial procedure.  Hang in there.  Your results look great so far and will improve as time goes on.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon