Why Should I Consider an Acupuncture Face Lift?

Not sure of the principles of cosmetic acupuncture

+1

Cosmetic acupuncture is not something that any physicians I know personally perform. When discussing it with an Eastern Medicine doctor who studied in China, she told me that not a lot of acupuncturists use it however its results are very fleeting (several hours). The principle is to stimulate different muscle contracture and relaxation through the acupuncture to get a tightening effect that lasts several hours. I know that acupuncture has shown to be effective in placebo controlled trials for quitting smoking, pain syndromes and prostatitis patients. I am not sure if this works or has been scientifically tested. As a physician I see many patients who benefit from what we call the "placebo" effect. Additionally, in cosmetic surgery and medicine there is an element of patient perception. There are patients that I have done procedures on and thought ," Hmmm.. I don't know how much I helped this person" but the patient thanks me ecstatically and tells me I changed their life. On the flip side, there are patients who I perform a procedure and think "Wow...I am going to pat myself on the back on this one...what a homerun case!" but the patient feels that not much is done. In terms of cosmetic acupuncture I would love to see the data and photos of patients who were treated with it. 

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acupuncture Face Lift: Should it be considered?

+1

We do not endorse the procedure as we do not believe that it is effective. However, believers of the procedures indicate that an acupuncture face-lift is virtually painless, and a non-surgical method to reduce the signs of aging. It is an effective, natural, safe, drug free and painless alternative to surgery to improve appearance. It also helps the whole body to feel and look younger. Again, we doubt the veracity of these claims.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS